[comp.sys.mac] Ticking Mac

donch@tekirl.TEK.COM (Don Chitwood) (09/09/87)

My personal Mac at home has developed a rhythmic ticking, roughly a 1 second
cycle.  I opened the case yesterday and used a plastic stethoscope to home
in on the sound.  It was coming from the transformer on the power supply
board (the one mounted fairly low, and probably the main supply transformer.)
Up close, I could discern the ticking to be more complex than I thought.
It was like a 1 sec and a 1.2 second cycle superimposed on each other.  They would
phase in and out of synch in a repeatable manner.  I also discovered the sound
was carried by the speaker (earphones made that real clear), but was
primarily coming from the tranny.

All solder joints on the board looked great, no signs of overheating anywhere.

Anyone know if this is a problem of concern, i.e. is a power-board imolation
imminent?  If so, can I get a replacement transformer from apple?  If not,
where is a replacement available?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don Chitwood
Tektronix, Inc.

jccf@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Hartong) (09/10/87)

In article <740@tekirl.TEK.COM>, donch@tekirl.TEK.COM (Don Chitwood) writes:

> My personal Mac at home has developed a rhythmic ticking, roughly a 1 second
> cycle.  I opened the case yesterday and used a plastic stethoscope to home
> in on the sound.  It was coming from the transformer on the power supply
> board (the one mounted fairly low, and probably the main supply transformer.
		.
		.
		.

> Don Chitwood
> Tektronix, Inc.

Some time ago I found the same problem.
Since my home mac is slightly different from the standard mac (It has a series
stabilized PSU i.s.o. a concept with flyback transformer) the problem could
be heard a bit better.
After some  investigation I found out that there were "dips" in the 12 volt
Power Suply Line. When expirimenting with internal and external drives,
Standard Sony and 3rd Party Drives the following conclusion came up:
After Reset the power dips occured when a disk drive (Sony Only) was attached
to the Mac, no matter if it was internal or external.
With a 3rd Party drive (don't remember the brand anymore) these problems did
not  occur.
This is because the mac is looking for a drive to use, and tries to select
the internal or external drive, thus making the Enable line active.

When the drive is running/spinning (Sony drive, further refferenced as
 "the drive") , no dips in the 12 V. line. (because the drive is selected
continiously)
When the system has started upp (i.e. system loaded) the problem still occurs,
but may dissapear after some twiddling with the drive lines (CA0, CA1,
CA2, Select, Enable ). This was done using a disk-drive diagnostic utility.

The problem lies in the fact that every time the line Enable is activated
a dip on the 12 volt line occurs. It seems that the 12v line is shortcutted
for a very short time (+/- 1 ms). This results in  a high current floating
through the 12 volt line and has impact on the rest of the mac, wherefrom
you hear the "click tik ticking". The frequency you described is the same
as the one I noticed.
This points probably to a faulty hardware dessign (interaction) of the IWM
and Sony disk drives.
Or the Sony drive takes to much current on being enabled.

The ticking and power dips / high current peaks were verified
by a friend who's working as a repairsman with a Apple
dealer, and he found the same things, but not as sever as with my
Mac 'cause the Mac's PSU can give a higher peak current on their 12 v

The dips seem to have no further impact on a proper working mac.
The extra power dissipation in the PSU due to this dips (high current)
is probably minimal.

Hope this helps (?) a bit.

Piter Jonker,
Hilversum, 	(A center Town of ) Holland.

ihnp4!ihlpg!hvlpa!pjonker	<--- Use this address when sending reply's
				     The currently used one is a remote login.

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (Gary) (09/16/87)

> My personal Mac at home has developed a rhythmic ticking, roughly a 1 second
> cycle.  I opened the case yesterday and used a plastic stethoscope to home
> in on the sound.  It was coming from the transformer on the power supply
> board (the one mounted fairly low, and probably the main supply transformer.)
> Up close, I could discern the ticking to be more complex than I thought.
> Don Chitwood

From what I can tell, it is a problem with the power supply not handling
intermittent load very well.  The ticking will stop when the CPU is doing
something very compute intensive.  Basically, it's causing the power supply
to respond to a series of non-repetitive pseudo-random increases in load
while executing a normal program -- which is easier than trying to filter
widely-spaced intense current pulses from the system (ie: the Ticking).
I am thinking about tracking-down the major offending areas on the mother
board and add some extra filtering (where there's room).

It's not going to cause your transformer to die, but, as always, I
strongly recommend putting a Kensington fan on your machine.  It'll
drop the inside temperature very well and is negligibly loud in
comparison to most HDU's...

Gary
(hplabs,allegra,sun,amdahl)oliveb!oliven!gnome

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (11/06/88)

> sometimes I hear a ticking sound

so someone elses mac does it to...

If the room is really quiet, I can hear a faint clicking coming from my mac...
usually starts after disk access and sometimes stops/sometimes doesn't.  Will
start at other times to.

Is my mac going to explode?  Is it haunted?  What is the deal?

just curios...
b.bum

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/06/88)

In article <IXQq6Iy00UgXI1mX5N@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
> > sometimes I hear a ticking sound

> If the room is really quiet, I can hear a faint clicking coming from my mac...
> Is my mac going to explode?  Is it haunted?  What is the deal?

	this ticking sound is associated with the voltage level.
	adjusting the voltage level on the analog board to just
	below ~5volts will take care of that... but no matter what
	you do, those boards tend to die with constant regularity...

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (11/07/88)

My Mac Plus is over 2 years old, and I have never had a power supply problem,
and I'm running 2.5 megs (1 meg for a long time-- 256K chips take more power
than 1 meg CMOS).

Anyway-- So now I know how to get rid of the clicking;adjust the power supply
to as close to 5 volts as possible, but WHAT is clicking?

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu