[comp.sys.mac] Need Vaccine Type Programs

michael@crash.cts.com (Mike Durler) (10/29/88)

Hi everyone...

Recently, by some unknown reason, (I'm not sure what was the source of the
bug) my Macintosh Plus computer was infected by one of those stupid virus
programs.

I had some virus detective programs available so I was able to remove the
bad resources, but when I did, it destroyed the program so I would have to
replace it with a new copy.  At last count, the virus that I had infected
73 programs on my hard disk.

What I need to ask is would someone please post (in BinHex 4.0 format) any
good vaccine or virus detector programs that could help me from getting in
this situation again.  Also, could anybody specify any "known" programs that
are actually virus programs in disguise.  I've heard of a couple of these and
I don't want to infect my hard disk any more.

You can post your message either to me in private mail, or to the net in
the "comp.binaries.mac" newsgroup.  Though, posting it in the newsgroup might
be better because it will get better distribution.

Thanks in advance...

Mike Durler (..!sdcsvax!crash!michael)

!  Mike E. Durler {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc.mil}!crash!michael     |
|  ARPA: crash!michael@nosc.ARPA and at grocery shevles everywhere...         |
|  "Will the person owning Starspeeder License Number THX1138 please move     |
|        your craft, you are parked in a no-hover zone" - "Star Tours"        |

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (10/31/88)

There is currently no known PD program that is explicitly a virus
carrier. Sometimes a program gets infected and is uploaded to a BBS.
This was the case, for example, of Stuffit 1.21, as an infected
version of that program has been uploaded to a texan BBS. HOWEVER,
THIS WAS A LOCAL INFECTION. This virus never made it far outside
Texas, and was discovered just a few days after it was uploaded.

Really important in that business is the Leitmotiv "Don't Panic". We
are at the fourth nVIR wave on our site, because some institutes just
don't care about disk hygiene until they are struck by a virus
themselves. But then, it is already (almost) too late...

There is a virus discussion list on BITNET and I encourage everybody
who has access to that net to sign up. Send the following  interactive
message to LISTSERV@LEHIIBM1.BITNET:
SUBSCRIBE VIRUS-L "Your full name"

Below is a list of the virus detection/killer programs I know of, with
a short description of what they're doing. I have Vaccine CDEV,

Interferon,Virus-Rx, KillScores, VirusDetective, VCheck, nVIR Vaccine
and Ferret,but I really only use Vaccine CDEV and Interferon as
detection programs, and one of the killer programs if it really gets
tough (KillScores, nVIR Vaccine). Oh, and the dukakis vaccine, of
course, which you have to install only once in your Home stack.

The documentation has been written by Joe McMahon and is available as
Hypercard stack.

By the way, Joe's address is:

Code 631                                Bitnet    : XRJDM@SCFVM
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center        CompuServe: 72330,554
Greenbelt, MD 20771

-- Danny
| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

Author: Robert Woodhead
Price: Free (optional donation; see details)
Agreements:  Copyrighted, but permission given to
             reproduce and distribute.
Class: Manual, general detection. File deletion.

Interferon 3.1 is a Rsearch, report and destroyS application. It
recognizes the known viruses, and can delete files which are deemed to
be infected.

Interferon is probably the most comprehensive of the virus-checking
programs. It is set up to check likely areas for invasion by new
viruses in addition to checking for known ones.

---------------------------

Product name: Virus Rx
Author: Apple Computer
Price: Free
Agreements: Copyrighted, but may be distributed freely.
Class: Manual, general detection.

Virus Rx scans for common symptoms of viral attack, such as INIT,
RDEV, and CDEV files in the system folder, unusual CODE 0 resources,
and others.  It produces a report in a text file, which may be saved
or printed as a record of disk status.

Virus Rx does not disinfect applications or systems. Accompanying
documentation recommends replacement of infected files.

---------------------------

Product name: VirusDetective*
Author: Jeffery S. Shulman
Price: $10
Agreements: Copyrighted; permission given to distribute.
Class: Manual, general detection/removal.

Virus Detective* provides an anti-viral program in a desk accessory.
It currently searches for Scores and nVIR infectsion, but is easily

customizable to search for other resources.

Version 1.2 allows you to produce a log file show the status of all
files, files suspected of infection, and files not suspected of
infection.

---------------------------

Product name: KillScores
Author: MacPack User Group, Dallas TX
Price: Free
Agreements:  Copyrighted, but permission given to
             reproduce and distribute.
Class: Manual, specific detection/removal.

KillScores efficiently discovers and repairs applications and systems
infected with the Scores virus. It does not look for nor does it
remove any other type of viral infection.  KillScores seems to be more

effective than Ferret in cleaning up infected applications and
systems.

---------------------------

Product name: VCheck
Author: Albert Lunde, Northwestern University
Price: Free
Agreements: Copyrighted. See details about distribution.
Class: Manual, general protection.

VCheck checks for changes in the contents of the active system folder,
the boot blocks, and on all applications on all mounted volumes. It
does not remove viruses, but simply warns of their possible existence
by detecting RdangerousS resources. VCheck keeps a checksum file for
all of the above items for comparison purposes. VCheck is written in
Turbo Pascal and source is provided.

---------------------------

Product Name: nVIR Vaccine
Author: Mike* Scanlin
Price: See details; source in May 1988 MacUser
Agreements: Copyrighted; distribution restrictions unclear.
Class: Manual, specific (partial) removal.

nVIR Vaccine is a specific targeted at the RnVIRS virus. It removes
this virusonly from applications which are infected with it.

nVIR Vaccine is not an automatic program. You will have to select all
of the programs to be disinfected manually. Also, nVIR Vaccine does
not remove the virus from the System file.  See the details for how to
do this.

---------------------------

Product name: Sniffer
Author: Unknown
Price: Free
Agreements: See details
Class: Manual, general detection.

Sniffer is a simple application which can be customized to search for
a given resource. Sniffer will scan for the selected resource, check
for applications which have non-standard CODE 0 resources (a possible
symptom of infection), and can rename files which are possibly
infected.

Sniffer does no disinfection. You must know the types and IDs of the
resources which are to be looked for.

---------------------------

Product name: Ferret 1.0
Author: Larry Nedry
Price: Free
Agreements: Copyrighted, but permission given toJdistribute.
Class: Manual, specific detection/removal.

Ferret 1.0 is an application which scans for and removes the Scores
virus only.
It scans the selected files for the Scores signature resources. It
they are found, they are removed and the affected applications
repaired.

There have been reports that Ferret is not as good as KillScores and
that version 1.1 may in fact leave viral resources applications after
cleaning.

---------------------------

Product name: Blood Test
Author: Doug Werner, Apple Computer
Price: Free
Agreements: All rights reserved; not distributable.
Class: Manual, specific and general detection.

Blood Test looks for specific resources and reports if they are found.
It can check for damaged applications (i.e., those with bad resource
forks), and can also check for patched trap addresses in the system
trap dispatch table.

Blood Test does no disinfection; it is simply a means of detecting
possible infections.

---------------------------

Product name: Dukakis Vaccine
Author: Ian Summerfield, Apple Computer UK Ltd.
Price: Free to everyone except the originator of the virus.
Agreements: No distribution restrictions.
Class: Automatic, specific and general detection/prevention.

Dukakis Vaccine is a HyperCard script designed to both detect the
Dukakis virus and to prevent its invasion into stacks. The script is
general enough to be of utility in blocking other HyperCard-only
viruses.

Dukakis Vaccine only monitors changes to scripts; it cannot block
viral XCMDs or XFCNs. It does not remove the virus, but blocks it and
alerts you to the virus's presence.

---------------------------

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (11/02/88)

In article <661@ethz.UUCP> macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
> [reviews of anti-virus programs omitted]
>
>Product name: Dukakis Vaccine
>Author: Ian Summerfield, Apple Computer UK Ltd.
>Price: Free to everyone except the originator of the virus.
>Agreements: No distribution restrictions.
>Class: Automatic, specific and general detection/prevention.
>
>Dukakis Vaccine is a HyperCard script designed to both detect the
>Dukakis virus and to prevent its invasion into stacks.
 ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

 What the heck is the Dukakis Virus????

 (I knew the campaign was negative, but this is ridiculous. :-) )

-ken

--
==========      .......     ===========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {spsd, zardoz, felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (11/07/88)

In article <14467@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:

> What the heck is the Dukakis Virus????
> (I knew the campaign was negative, but this is ridiculous. :-) )

The oddity about the Dukakis Virus is that its code is 100% pure
HyperTalk, and contaminates only HyperCard stacks. During the
contamination, it displays "Dukakis for president" in the
Message window. The original "syringue" stack appeared originally on
CompuServe (SPEAKS.SIT) and was downloaded 8 times only before it was removed,
but the full source has been shown and discussed on Delphi.

The following vaccine script will protect your stacks from being
contaminated with the "set script" trick used by the Dukakis Virus.
Just paste it into your Home Stack.

-- Danny

---------------------- Cut here -------------------------------
-- Note: "Duk-akis" contains a dash here to prevent the vaccine from
-- detecting itself as a virus.

-- Script to detect the spread of the "Duk-akis" virus. It works by
-- trapping the "set" command. I havenUt seen "Duk-akis", but I should
-- think that it works by setting the scripts of various objects to
-- whatever they were plus an "on openStack" handler. Well, by trapping
-- the "set" command, we can then find out if we are setting a script.
-- If we are, then we can sort of work like "Vaccine" does; i.e., we
-- prompt the user to see if he or she wants to allow the command to
-- continue. If it is stopped, then all scripts are halted.

-- Additionally, if the script contains the word "Duk-akis", then no
-- option is given & the script is halted straight away.

-- THIS SCRIPT SHOULD BE INSTALLED IN THE "HOME" STACK,
-- IN THE STACK SCRIPT.

-- You can test this script by making a new stack, then keying the
-- following examples into the message box:
-- % "Set the script of this stack to empty"
-- % "Set the script of this stack to field 1"
-- % "set the script of this stack to Duk-akis" (don't type the dash)

-- Try it, I think you'll like it!

-- This script is free to everyone apart from the person who wrote the
-- "Duk-akis" virus. I just hope it affects every single stack he or
-- she has or gets in the future!

-- Regards to all from a truely devoted HyperCard fan,
-- Ian Summerfield
-- Technical Support Supervisor
-- Apple Computer UK Ltd.
-- CIS: 76657, 742
-- "Sysop" - AppleFone HyperCard BBS: Luton, England: 0582 584134

-- Modified slightly 8/22/88 by Joe McMahon to make sure that
--"set the scriptI" (vs. "set script") doesn't slip through.

-- Modified a bit more 8/29/88 by Joe McMahon to add Ian's fixes
-- to prevent the vaccine from detecting itself as a virus.

on set
  put "Duk"&"akis" into duk
  if the param of 1 is "script" or the param of 2 is "script" then
    get the params
    if last word of it is "to" then put it && "empty" into it
    put it into s
    if s contains duk then
      repeat 10
        play harpsichord tempo 300 "a b c b a b c b"
      end repeat
      answer duk&&"virus detected!" with "Halt scripts"
      answer "Okay, you're safe now! It didn't spread."
      exit to HyperCard
    end if
    play harpsichord tempo 200 "e c e c e c e"
    answer "Warning: Script change requested" with "Show me"
    repeat
      answer s with "Allow" or "Stop!" or "Show more"
      if it is "Allow" then pass set
      else
        if it is "Stop!" then
          answer "All scripts halted!"
          exit to HyperCard
        else
          put the userLevel into userSafe
          set userLevel to 5
          doMenu "New Field"
          get the number of card fields
          set rect of card field it to 0,19,512,342
          set style of card field it to scrolling
          put the params into card field it
          choose browse tool
          wait until not the mouseClick