[comp.sys.mac] New Sumex-Aim hostname

cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (11/07/88)

	I am not the official sumex-aim authority, but I do know that
Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu is no longer a Tops-20 machine.  I'm suprised nobody at
that site has posted to Comp.Sys.Mac so I'll just pass along this bit of info.

This is what you'll see if to try to telnet to Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu:

SunOS Release 4.0 (SUMEX-AIM) #1: Fri Nov 4 15:59:12 PST 1988

SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU is now a Sun-4/280 running UNIX.  Users still needing
to connect to the TOPS20 system should use the name SUMEX-2060.Stanford.EDU.

I too tried an Ftp on Nov 4 Friday to sumex-aim and I couldn't get through.
So I tried a telnet instead figuring I could get some info off the system
(since I'm familiar with Tops-20).

I guess those folks out there who have gotten into the Tops-20 machine using
Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu have probably just coincided during the periods
when the Sun4 has not been up.

Well like I said, I AM NOT the official sumex-aim authority, so take my info
with a grain of salt.

Cliff Yamamoto

liemandt@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Joe Liemandt) (11/07/88)

In article <1856@nunki.usc.edu> cyamamot@nunki.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:

>	I am not the official sumex-aim authority, but I do know that
>Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu is no longer a Tops-20 machine.  I'm suprised nobody at
>that site has posted to Comp.Sys.Mac so I'll just pass along this bit of info.
>
>This is what you'll see if to try to telnet to Sumex-Aim.Stanford.Edu:

>SunOS Release 4.0 (SUMEX-AIM) #1: Fri Nov 4 15:59:12 PST 1988
>
>SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU is now a Sun-4/280 running UNIX.  Users still needing
>to connect to the TOPS20 system should use the name SUMEX-2060.Stanford.EDU.

Here is the scoop:

As of today, November 4, SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.Edu is a Sun-4/280
running SunOS 4.0 (UNIX).  The older DEC-2060 has been renamed
SUMEX-2060.Stanford.Edu.

Anonymous ftp to the Sun is not in operation yet, and I have no
estimated time of arrival on it.  The <Info-Mac> archives are
still available via anonymous ftp to SUMEX-2060, though the plan
is to also move the archives to the Sun.  I expect Info-Mac to be
interrupted for a while during the transition.

I think the info-mac moderator is the one who sent me this, but in
any case, this is what is going on.
When everything is back to normal, I will post.

Joe Liemandt
Stanford University