[comp.sys.mac] Two hard disks - What do you do?

) (11/05/88)

Hi MACer's,

	My SE's HD20 is slowly but surely filling up, despite my best weeding
efforts, so I am considering the purchase of an external hard drive, probably a
Jasmine 45.

	So, how do other folks out there with multiple hard disks USE them?  Do
you put applications on one, and data on another?  Which one is bootable?  If
you do place applications on one, is there a method for bypassing the bit where
SFGetfile looks in the applications directory for data files (an
inconvenience)?

	Also, any recommendations for external hard drives in the ~40MB range?

As always,

Thanks!

Rich

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (11/07/88)

In article <8811041854.AA18367@decwrl.dec.com> long@mcntsh.dec.com (I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV!) writes:
>Hi MACer's,
Hi.

>	So, how do other folks out there with multiple hard disks USE them?  Do
>you put applications on one, and data on another?
 I personally have a single, large drive, partitioned into several drives
 for convenience. Two important things to remember about multiple drives:
 1. It's handy to be able to take one off-line occasionally.
 2. If you keep the stuff that changes most often on one drive, backup time
    is a lot less painful. I definitely separate applications and system
    software from my documents, for that reason.
>Which one is bootable?
 One of your drives will probably spin up faster than the other. Why not
 make it bootable? If you do, you'll come up just a bit faster.
>If
>you do place applications on one, is there a method for bypassing the bit where
>SFGetfile looks in the applications directory for data files (an
>inconvenience)?
 That's funny. Last time I looked, SFGetfile started in the document's
 directory, which is handy.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM