[comp.sys.mac] Pyro 3.0 / Disktop 3.02 Compatibility Problems

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (11/02/88)

Just got Pyro 3.0 . . . oboy!  Didn't work . . . oh no!

(Initial copyright screen appears, but then it jumps right back out
to the desktop.)

According to Fifth Generation Systems, problem is incompatibility with
Disktop 3.02 which bumps heads with it resource-wise.  The fix: Disktop 3.03.

(Haven't had a chance to remove Disktop 3.02 from my system and retry Pyro
yet, but I called CE Software about Disktop 3.03 -- they said just send in
my original 3.02 floppy and they'll upgrade it -- no problem.)

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/04/88)

In article <17450@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>Just got Pyro 3.0 . . . oboy!  Didn't work . . . oh no!
>
>(Initial copyright screen appears, but then it jumps right back out
>to the desktop.)
>
>According to Fifth Generation Systems, problem is incompatibility with
>Disktop 3.02 which bumps heads with it resource-wise.  The fix: Disktop 3.03.

Huh!  I've been using Pyro 3.0 and Disktop 3.02 for a couple days, and no
problems have occured with either.  Pyro seems to work fine -- do you have
certain options set which cause it not to work with DiskTop?  Also, did CE
say whether DiskTop 3.03 is an upgrade for any other reason besides Pyro
3.0?

Thanks...

                           "Quiet, Ringo, Elvis is talking."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (11/08/88)

In article <5841@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

 >>Just got Pyro 3.0 . . . oboy!  Didn't work . . . oh no!
 >>
 >>(Initial copyright screen appears, but then it jumps right back out
 >>to the desktop.)
 >>
 >>According to Fifth Generation Systems, problem is incompatibility with
 >>Disktop 3.02 which bumps heads with it resource-wise.  The fix: Disktop 3.03.
 >
 >Huh!  I've been using Pyro 3.0 and Disktop 3.02 for a couple days, and no
 >problems have occured with either.  Pyro seems to work fine -- do you have
 >certain options set which cause it not to work with DiskTop?  Also, did CE
 >say whether DiskTop 3.03 is an upgrade for any other reason besides Pyro
 >3.0?

I don't know what's different between my system and yours...they didn't
indicate to me whether it would work in some cases and not others.  The
tech I spoke to just immediately asked me (after I described the above
symptom) whether I was running Disktop 3.02...when I said yes, he told
me to get 3.03 and the problem would go away.

I then called CE Software and asked them for the upgrade...they didn't
say whether it would fix anything else (and I neglected to ask).  I did
ask, however, why it wasn't publicized, and they said it was such a
minor upgrade that it wouldn't affect many users (!).