[comp.sys.mac] Arabic Word Processing

elfj@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (11/05/88)

We are looking for a system for doing Arabic word processing.  We want to
be able to do two unequal columns with Arabic in one and English in the
other.  We also want to have footnotes at the bottom of page.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a combination of software that will
allow us to do this.  For example, do any word processors support the
Script Manager which, to the best of my understanding, allow us to do
bidirectional word processing?  I know that I can type text into the
Arabic word processing program Alkaatib, and export it to ReadySetGo or
similar page layout programs, but is there a simpler way to do this?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good Arabic laser font?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Linda Iroff
Humanities Computing Center
Cornell University
607-255-7343
elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
elfj@crnlvax5.bitnet

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/08/88)

In article <17252@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> elfj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Linda Iroff) writes:
>We are looking for a system for doing Arabic word processing.  We want to
>be able to do two unequal columns with Arabic in one and English in the
>other.  We also want to have footnotes at the bottom of page.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for a combination of software that will
>allow us to do this.  For example, do any word processors support the
>Script Manager which, to the best of my understanding, allow us to do
>bidirectional word processing?  I know that I can type text into the
>Arabic word processing program Alkaatib, and export it to ReadySetGo or
>similar page layout programs, but is there a simpler way to do this?

	To begin with none of the current crop of word processors on the Macintosh,
(ie. Word, FWP, WP, etc.) support the Script Manager - so you can forget abou
using them...
	There a a number (3-4) word processors that are only marketed outside of the
U.S. which are script Manager compatible.  Most are not Full-Featured, but
do offer the level of  WriteNow... NONE DO COLUMNS!

	My recommendation is to do what I do with Hebrew - create/edit/etc. the
text in a word processor such xs AlKaatib and then export/import into somehinglike ReadySetGo wher you can do the DTP to yo}r hearts content!!

>Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good Arabic laser font?

	Good Question.. Apple's Arabic System, I believe, comes with ONE Arabic
Laserfont, though they may have added more recently.  I have also seen some
others from companies such as Linquist Software.

>Any help would be much appreciated.

	My Pleasure....

/* ============================================================ */
/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (11/08/88)

You might want to look into the Arabic System Software by Apple.  It is
available from APDA (Apple Programmer's and Developer's Association).  The
Arabic System Software comes with three different laser fonts.  I do a lot
of page layout using this system and MacDraw.  They seem to work quite well
together.

Saiid Paryavi
**/*/\*\**/*/\*\****/*/\*\**/*/* paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
*/*/**\*\/*/**\*\**/*/**\*\/*/** paryavi@ksuvax1.BITNET