[comp.sys.mac] Ticking Mac Theory #28

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (11/08/88)

Does your mac tick when you aren't doing anything?  Kind of a faint ticking
like someone tapping their foot?

Theory:  It is well known that not all mac's are they same; they have different
personalities, like different software, crash in different situations, and
basically act the way they want when they want (Mine is of the 'Lonely
Heifer' variety-- which is odd because I have never associated impatience
with cattle...).

Well, certain mac's just aren't as patient as others, and when they are wait-
ing for you to do something, they like to figuratively 'tap their foot' to
remind you that they are still around.  Of course, the tapping is faint be-
cause Apple has trained them well to try and please the customer (most of
the time anyway-- every now and then they really cut loose and try to
annoy the hell out of you)... good for business!

Do SE's and II's tick?  or was impatience successfully weeded out from
the later generations?  What about accellerated +'s?  Do they tick like
someone on a Caffeine overdose?

more analyzations from the far side....  :-)

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (11/08/88)

Well, our Mac SE's at work only become impatient infrequently.  When
they do, however, we punish them: We place our hands over the fan port
and then remove them several times quickly, forcing the fan to speed up
and slow down, warning the little cuties that we can drive them to
schizophrenia any time we get ornery.  Besides, we're paying their juice
bill.  :-)
					-JB'Mactamer'Zimmerman!

--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

her3@tank.uchicago.edu (Ben 'Drew' Herman) (11/09/88)

In article <4308@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>Well, our Mac SE's at work only become impatient infrequently.  When
>they do, however, we punish them: We place our hands over the fan port
>and then remove them several times quickly, forcing the fan to speed up
>and slow down, warning the little cuties that we can drive them to
                            -------------
>schizophrenia any time we get ornery.  Besides, we're paying their juice
>bill.  :-)

Finally some one who understands the workings of a computer.  What you think
the Mac is magic?? That some misterious magical "electrical Current"
Draws those pretty screens on your mac???

No,
   These "Little cuties" Live inside the Computer and run things......
IBM used to shrink CPA-s and MBA-s and put them into their computers.
But they Just couldn't draw too well.... SO in 1-2-3 they included some
simple drawing templates for graphics.
 Mac on the other hand genetically engineered these same Professionals
so they had artistic talent also. Thus the beutiful graphics.
( NOTE: IBM is currently engeneering to try to match the prowessness of the
	Apple "Little Cuties")
The tapping you hear is actually these guys Carving out new templates for
use in thier drawings, And normally begins after they access the disk for
new materials. Note also that they have tiny electric lights and a big fan
to keep them cool. Covering the fan ports make them think a storm is comming
and they stop work to protect thier families.......

Besides, When the computer gets sick ( with a virus or other cold)
and starts to huccup.... what do you think is happening..... isn't it
obvious?  The "little Cuties" are Ill  :-)

Nice waste of band width huh?  d|:=>

Ben Herman
Falme away - I just had to get my 2c in.

--
Internet: her3@tank.uchicago.edu  or ben@rover.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@tank.uchicago.bitnet

g-verbru@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Rob Verbrugghe) (11/09/88)

In article <700@tank.uchicago.edu> her3@tank.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Ben 'Drew' Herman) writes:
>In article <4308@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>>Well, our Mac SE's at work only become impatient infrequently.  When
>
>Finally some one who understands the workings of a computer.  What you think
>the Mac is magic?? That some misterious magical "electrical Current"
>Draws those pretty screens on your mac???
>
>No,
>   These "Little cuties" Live inside the Computer and run things......

Thats funny.  My mac ticks, but only when its hungry.  If the internal
disk drive is empty it nashes its teeth.  I give it a floppy to suck on
(kinda like a pacifier) and it stays quiet.  (Of course I only let it
suck on old 400K disks, I hate it when the computer teeths on my data.)

Rob
% cat /etc/motd
   |             The system is down for repairs today                 |
   |   We'll send everyone mail so they'll know when its back up      |
   |  New Users: if you need an account, mail root, we'll set one up  |
   |                      Have a nice day!                            |
%