[comp.sys.mac] snd's not playing

cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) (11/04/88)

I have recently switched to 6.0.2. I have noticed that the newest version of
resedit that I have has an option to play snd resources, but it does not do
so on my system. Hypercard has also stopped playing sounds for me.

What gives?

Chris

johnsot@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim G. Johnson) (11/09/88)

In article <870261@hpcilzb.HP.COM> cnc@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Chris Christensen) writes:
>I have recently switched to 6.0.2. I have noticed that the newest version of
>resedit that I have has an option to play snd resources, but it does not do
>so on my system. Hypercard has also stopped playing sounds for me.
>
>What gives?
>
>Chris

I don't know about ResEdit, but I do know that the new system beeps that
were added to the plusses and SE's in system 6.0 faught horribly with
the sounds played from HyperCard. After a few of each (some system beeps,
some HyperCard sounds) that HC(1.2.1) would go belly up. It seemed to
me that it thought the mouse was down somewhere on the screen, and there
was no way to convince it otherwise (clicking the mouse, unplugging it, etc.)
HC just wouldn't recognize any input after that. The only remedy was to
cycle the power of the mac. I reset the system error beep by zapping the
pram and rebooting the machine (and then removing the sound cdev from the
disk!). Anyway, I played around with System 6.0.2 and HC 1.2.1 the other
day and noticed that if a system beep was selected, that HC would just
refuse to play ANY sound in it. Once again, zapping the pram, rebooting,
and trashing the sound cdev fixed the problem. I can live with the
'simple beep' for a while, anyway.

-Tim G. Johnson
-johnsot@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU

curry@nsc.nsc.com (Ray Curry) (11/10/88)

If I can get this right... There has been a known bug that the Mac would
freeze if there is a snd conflict.  Hypercard grabs the sound manager
when it opens and doesn't release it until it closes.  I would guess
that the problems seen with sound master or other new beeps is just
that.