[comp.sys.mac] Mac+ power supply

paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (11/07/88)

Please help!

One of my Mac Pluses has just died.  Nothing happens when the power switch is
flipped on.  I think the power supply is gone! right?  Anyway, does anyone
know of a cheap source for Mac+ power supplies?

Thanks in advance

--
***/\/\****/\/\******/\/\****/\* Saiid Paryavi
**/*/\*\**/*/\*\****/*/\*\**/*/* paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu

cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) (11/11/88)

In article <1183@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>One of my Mac Pluses has just died.  Nothing happens when the power switch is
>flipped on.  I think the power supply is gone! right?  Anyway, does anyone
>know of a cheap source for Mac+ power supplies?

Well, this probably doesn't apply to you, but it might to others and it
is interesting in its own right.  Two months ago I bought a Jasmine DD 70
drive in the states and brought it back to Israel with me.  I connected it
to my Mac2Me with Dove SCSI port, turned on the Mac and the Drive and watched
smoke billow out of the drive and the mac flicker and die.  As it turned out,
the smoke were the surge protection capacitors not  agreeing with the
power transformer (no, I didn't plug in by accident to 220V, I just used
an underpowered transformer which shortened out).  The mac, on the other
hand, didn't give off any smoke, but when I turned it on again, it made no
noise and remained BLACK.  After opening it the problem was obvious, the
SCSI board had come unstuck and, since the ROMs were on it, prevented the
mac from even leaving RESET mode.  We pushed in the board and the mac worked
like new (as new as a four year old machine can be).

Just goes to show you that major problems can have very minor solutions.
(Ther Jasmine was fixed by clipping the capacitors, which was part of
the required operation for converting it to 220V anyways).
--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki