[comp.sys.mac] Wanted:

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (11/09/88)

Does anybody happen to have UUENCODE/UUDECODE lying about (either as a
Mac application or, if possible, some C sources)? I want to move some binary
data between my Mac and Terak computers, and the latter has a Kermit which
only understands text files. Presumably uuencode/decode would just read/write
data forks to files. If anybody has a generic C source instead (or, for
that matter, a one-line description of the algorithm...!), I'm quite
happy to hack in the proper file management and SFGetFile/PutFile stuff, and
throw it at Lightspeed C.
   Oh, yes: are the microscopic DIN plugs used in the serial ports standard
components which can be bought and soldered up into cables? Or do I have to
go down to my Apple dealer and pay $Youch! for a DIN<->RS232 cable?

	Thanks.
		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

phil@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (11/11/88)

In article <931@etive.ed.ac.uk>, nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
> are the microscopic DIN plugs used in the serial ports standard
> components which can be bought and soldered up into cables? Or do I have to
> go down to my Apple dealer and pay $Youch! for a DIN<->RS232 cable?

 My Apple dealer sells us the individual plugs.  They're quite expensive
though - about 3 quid each!  Compared to the 20-odd quid for a cable
though they're cheap.  Ask your Apple Centre if they will sell you a plug.
If you can't get one from them, I can see if I can get you one.
If anyone has a cheaper alternative supplier (of good quality plugs) then
I would like to know too!

Computer Science Dept.,   *        ** Note New Address & UserName **        *
Liverpool University,     * JANET : PHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.MVA                   *
Merseyside, England,      * ARPA  : PHIL%mva.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
L69  3BX                  *                                                 *
                          * old address SQPHIL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX may work     *