[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh UTILITIES Disk repair/restor/backup

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (11/10/88)

Looking at advertisements and reports is useful but I wondered if you
have had any experience with any of these products:

		Copy II MAC  by  Central Point Software,

	or	Symantec Utilities for Macintosh (SUM) by Symantec,

	or	PC TOOLS for the Macintosh by Central Point Software.

I am familiar somewhat with Copy II Plus for the ][ series but wondered
if Copy II MAC offered the same backup, sector repair, and utilities
like Copy II Plus.  Also, will it work with hard disks or just floppies?
Are SUM and PC TOOLS just for HD restore/backup/repair ?

Please post your experiences/recommendations for all to see.  I have
been reading this newsgroup for some time now and have not seen much on
this topic.  Perhaps discussion has appeared before, but the newer
readers would appreciate your sharing your experiences.

THANK YOU ...

					Dave Quarles
					Mathematics Department
					St. Petersburg Junior College

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (11/11/88)

In article <491@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>Looking at advertisements and reports is useful but I wondered if you
>have had any experience with any of these products:
>
>		Copy II MAC  by  Central Point Software,
>
>	or	Symantec Utilities for Macintosh (SUM) by Symantec,
>
>	or	PC TOOLS for the Macintosh by Central Point Software.
>
>I am familiar somewhat with Copy II Plus for the ][ series but wondered
>if Copy II MAC offered the same backup, sector repair, and utilities
>like Copy II Plus.  Also, will it work with hard disks or just floppies?
>Are SUM and PC TOOLS just for HD restore/backup/repair ?
>
>Please post your experiences/recommendations for all to see.  I have
>been reading this newsgroup for some time now and have not seen much on
>this topic.  Perhaps discussion has appeared before, but the newer
>readers would appreciate your sharing your experiences.
>
>THANK YOU ...
>

>					Dave Quarles
>					Mathematics Department
>					St. Petersburg Junior College
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I have Copy II Mac, 1st Aid Kit and SUM.  They all claim to work on hard disks
as well as floppies, but my main experience is recovering floppy disks.

I've used the MacTools program from Copy II Mac to recover files, but I
think the others are nicer to use.  The advantage to Copy II Mac, in addition
to copying disks is that MacTools does let up set the Protected bit so files
can't be copied (Resedit displays the bit, but won't let you change it).

1st Aid Kit is a very clean program and has been pretty successful in
recovering trashed floppies.  Unfortuantely, it comes in 2 versions, one
for MFS (the old 400Kb floppies) and one for HFS (800Kb floppies and all
hard disks).  I have the HFS version, but once I had an old (crusty)
400Kb disk that went bad.  The HFS version simply doesn't even try to
do anything with the disk.

The SUM recovery tools are also pretty good, though having so many different
selections on the method of restoration can be intimidating at first, and
can consume a lot of time trying them out.  The worst thing about SUM is
that if you work on a trashed floppy that can't be read by the Finder, you
may recover the files, but when you quit SUM, it doesn't eject the bad disk,
so you have to pull out the trusty paper clip to get the disk out (1st Aid
Kit does know to eject the disk).

If I had to recommend what to buy in case of a dish crash or file corruption,
I would say get as many as you can, because one my work when another won't,
and if your files are as important to you as mine are to me, it's (relatively)
cheap insurance.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

yeung@reed.UUCP (Woodrow Yeung) (11/12/88)

In article <16809@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

>can consume a lot of time trying them out.  The worst thing about SUM is
>that if you work on a trashed floppy that can't be read by the Finder, you
>may recover the files, but when you quit SUM, it doesn't eject the bad disk,
>so you have to pull out the trusty paper clip to get the disk out (1st Aid
>Kit does know to eject the disk).

Just do a cammand shift 1 (or 2 or 0 depending on which drive) to eject the
disk from the Finder.

yeung@reed