[comp.sys.mac] ToMultifinder enhancement??

) (11/08/88)

>Attached is version 2.2 of ToMultiFinder, a shareware utility that lets
>you choose between the Finder and MultiFinder at startup time.
>
>Improvements over version 1.1 include:
>
>- Remembering your choice of Finder, MultiFinder, or another program
>- Ability to chain another program before launching Finder or MultiFinder.
>
>               --Rich

Hey Rich,

Your program is great!!!  1 enhancement request....Ho about the ability to do
DA's FROM ToMultifinder????  I have had quite a few problems with the System
crashing when entering Finder.  If I run something else first to use some
DA's and such, they work....

Phil Hunt

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/08/88)

In article <8811071759.AA08474@decwrl.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.dec.com (At 'MACS'imum efficiency!) writes:

>Your program is great!!!  1 enhancement request....Ho about the ability to do
>DA's FROM ToMultifinder????  I have had quite a few problems with the System
>crashing when entering Finder.  If I run something else first to use some
>DA's and such, they work....

	If enough people send me money (hint, hint) then I can probably
find the time to add a desk accessory menu...

>Phil Hunt

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Steve Uitti) (11/08/88)

>Attached is version 2.2 of ToMultiFinder, a shareware utility that lets
>you choose between the Finder and MultiFinder at startup time.
	I'm a little curious why you'd want such a beast, other than
	for user friendliness.
>- Remembering your choice of Finder, MultiFinder, or another program
	Set Startup does this.
>- Ability to chain another program before launching Finder or MultiFinder.
	Set Startup?  I've never wanted to do this.
>               --Rich

	When I first got my Mac II (fall 87), I used (single) finder
only.  Most (noncommercial) things I tried to run under Multifinder
died horribly and often.  (Of course, many things simply didn't work
reliably under any conditions, and they have slowly been weeded out).
Then spring 88 came along, and with it, LSC 3.0 with the best debugger
I've ever used.  It requires Multifinder.  It is such a pain to switch
back and forth, so for awhile I'd just try to run everything under
Multifinder.  Well, this didn't require much more weeding, so now I
only use Multifinder.
	In fact, the only time I use (single) finder is when 2 Meg of
RAM isn't going to be enough for something (recording 80 seconds of
sound with Macrecorder, or using PixelPaint).  When I do this, I also
generally want to not load macsbug (or macsIIbug, or whatever).
	The manuals say that booting while holding down the command
key starts the (single) finder.  Booting while holding down the mouse
button inhibits macsbug (etc., saving tremendous amount of memory).
Booting while holding everything down results in a memory efficient
system.
	So I don't even do SetStartUp.  Sure it isn't exactly user
friendly, but it is convenient and quick and efficient and doesn't
require an additional byte of disk space.
	I recognize the problems with technology transfer (this won't
be the best solution for everyone), but my solution to these problems
is cheaper.

	Stephen.

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (11/08/88)

    So, people are questioning the usefulness of ToMultifinder.

    Even though you may have a very fast machine, sometimes it's faster
if it knows what you want to do before it does something that you don't
want it to do.
    Sure it's useful. There are many people that use MultiFinder only
under certian circumstances.

    Rob Johnston.

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (11/09/88)

In article <UXRcTZy00Uw9ArVlRq@andrew.cmu.edu> rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) writes:
>    Sure it's useful. There are many people that use MultiFinder only
>under certian circumstances.

I find that the most flexible method of handling Finder/Multifinder is to
always boot under the Finder.  I have only 2M on my machine and like to have
such frills as a desktop picture, 256K cache, and the like.  Most apps will
run just fine in Finder with such a configuration.  If I want to run MF,
though, I simply turn off the cache and double click the MF icon in the
system folder while holding down Command and Option.  It runs MF just as if
I had booted under it.  Since there is no way to go from MF to Finder then
it is necessary to reboot if that's what I need to do, but that's no more
inconvenient than having to specify which I want when I boot in the first
place.

--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --
--                                                               --

stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (11/09/88)

In article <1192@microsoft.UUCP>, t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) writes:
[we don't always use multifinder, we want our memory...]
> run just fine in Finder with such a configuration.  If I want to run MF,
> though, I simply turn off the cache and double click the MF icon in the
> system folder while holding down Command and Option.  It runs MF just as if
> I had booted under it.  Since there is no way to go from MF to Finder then
> it is necessary to reboot if that's what I need to do, but that's no more
> inconvenient than having to specify which I want when I boot in the first
> place.
One way to make this process easier is to use resedit (or your favorite
disk-mangling program :-) to change multifinders' type to an application.
then, when you want to use it, you just double-click.  It's real nice
if you've set up your multifinder startup -- you click on the MF
icon and three or four programs all pop up!

> --
> -- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --

Stu
"Save a computer, vote NO for MesS-DOS"

--
Stuart Ericson			AT&T Bell Laboratories
USEnet: att!ihlpe!stuart	IH 2H210

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (11/10/88)

After reading a few articles about Rich Siegel's (sp?) newest
version of ToMultiFinder, I did want to mention that if you
have QuicKeys there is a nice little shortcut you can award
yourself if you use Multifinder less often than Uni/Solo/Mono
Finder.

Just use ResEdit or something like it to change the file type
of Multifinder from ZSYS to APPL.  Then it can be recognized
by the file filter in QuicKey's "File..." operation.  I assigned
the F15 key on the extended keyboard to run Multifinder.  Then
set the type back to ZSYS to avoid future trouble.... :-)

Since I do a lot of development in LS Pascal 1.11, I use the
"little Finder" a lot more often than the "big Finder".  So
when I do want to use Multifinder, I just hit F15 and up it
comes.

Of course, I will quit doing this when LS Pascal comes out,
which I guess is sometime in the next 6 weeks if all goes
well?

Tom Cole
SAS Institute
{anywhere}|mcnc|rti|sas|cole

Opinions?  I gave at the office...

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) (11/13/88)

In article <UXRcTZy00Uw9ArVlRq@andrew.cmu.edu>, rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) writes...

>    So, people are questioning the usefulness of ToMultifinder.
>
>    Even though you may have a very fast machine, sometimes it's faster
>if it knows what you want to do before it does something that you don't
>want it to do.
>    Sure it's useful. There are many people that use MultiFinder only
>under certian circumstances.

And there are people who only use UniFinder under certain circumstances.
I like Tadaeisko (sp?) for giving me a choice and a simple password
protection mechanism.

jeff m