[comp.sys.mac] NeXT's BIG 3.5" mistake.

spohrer-james@yale.UUCP (10/21/88)

From: James Spohrer <spohrer-james>

>>Does the NeXT machine have an 800K or 1.5M floppy system?
>>It seems that in an educational market you want to be able
>>to share programs, etc. on a medium that doesn't cost
>>$50.  The joy of the under $1.00 diskettes is that you
>>can freely give them away, whereas the $50 CD diskettes
>>would be too expensive.
>>
>>- Jim Spohrer
>>spohrer@yale.edu
>>-------
>
>The NeXT machine does not have any sort of floppy drive, and I >doubt it ever
will.  You're right that you want to be able to share
>programs, files, data, etc. on a medium that doesn't cost $50.  How
>about your campus Ethernet?  Why cart programs around on a >floppy when you
can access them with NFS from across the campus?  >Of course if you don't have
a campus Ethernet you're out of luck.  >But I think that's one of the reasons
Jobs included built-in Ethernet >and TCP/IP support. I just hope you don't have
to open a terminal >window and type someting like "mount -t nfs serv:/usr/src
>/usr/src"; I hope Jobs made the user interface better than that.
>
>David Finkelstein
>davef@jessica.stanford.edu

I am think NeXT has made a big mistake by not including a 3.5" floppy.  Campus
Ethernet will not begin to solve the problem. The cost of the medium will be
added onto the price of the software, so every appication will start out at $50
instead of under a dollar for the 3.5" floppy. Sure once you have the software
on campus, maybe Ethernet will be useful, but what about buying the 1000 new
applications that are supposed to spring up for the NeXT machine? This price
problem will almost totally eliminate the possibility of inexpensive (under
$50) software for the NeXT machine. I think not having a 3.5" floppy is a VERY
VERY BAD move for an otherwise brilliant machine.

-Jim Spohrer
spohrer@yale.edu
-------

ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (10/22/88)

>The NeXT machine does not have any sort of floppy drive, and I doubt it ever
> will.  You're right that you want to be able to share
>programs, files, data, etc. on a medium that doesn't cost $50...

Be serious: if there's a market for one, somebody will sell one.  I do agree
that, on campus, the network is clearly the way to exchange software.  It's
also too expensive to give away the optifloppy (I like that word too!) media.

Also on campus, even without a net, that just means that YOUR optifloppy,
mine, and a NeXT have to share the same space for 5 minutes.  With 8Mb of
RAM, we won't even have to swap floppies often.

Assuming NeXT survives -- and Steve&Co have my best wishes -- by the time
NeXT leaves the campus, there'll be 3.5" drives.

=Ned=

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (10/24/88)

The read/write CD is really nice for archival storage, but it is not the
ideal medium to distribute traditional software.  Can you imagine buying a
copy of PageMaker.  Yes sir, here is your 256 megabyte disk, with all of 2
megs used!  It's like using a chainsaw to cut butter!

Note that I said *traditional* software.  If however you are buying something
that is, by nature, large (i.e. the Los Angeles County phone book) then the
large disk size a very nice feature.

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie               "This is the 80's... I don't want to wait
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis              15 milliseconds"
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu          - computer store customer on why he wanted
AppleLink: ST0178                       a 50ms hard disk and NOT a 65 ms.

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (10/25/88)

> also too expensive to give away the optifloppy (I like that word too!) media.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^

How about "flopitical disk" :-)

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

wetter@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (10/27/88)

>> also too expensive to give away the optifloppy (I like that word too!) media.
->                                       ^^^^^^^^^^
->
-> How about "flopitical disk" :-)

    How about optofloppy.  (o instead of an i)
Just my .02$
Pierce

You can flame or laud me at:
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu or wetter@csvax.caltech.edu or pwetter@caltech.bitnet

Caution: All my postings are 100% accurate from my point of view. However, my
point of view rarely translates into english. Therefore any errors in my
posting are your fault for not interpreting it correctly.

larryh@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Larry Hutchinson) (10/28/88)

In article <1329@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>> also too expensive to give away the optifloppy (I like that word too!) media.
>How about "flopitical disk" :-)

But but but ...
	It ain't floppy!  It's hard, like a CD, and 'optihard' doesn't hack
	it.

	How about a 'MORE disk' 	--- Magneto-Optical Read/Erase disk.

Larry Hutchinson, Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 50-383, Beaverton, OR 97077
UUCP:   [uunet|ucbvax|decvax|hplabs]!tektronix!tekgvs!larryh
ARPA:   larryh%tekgvs.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet:  larryh@tekgvs.TEK.COM

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (10/28/88)

In article <8417@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>>> also too expensive to give away the optifloppy (I like that word too!) media.
>->                                       ^^^^^^^^^^
>-> How about "flopitical disk" :-)
> >
>    How about optofloppy.  (o instead of an i)
>Just my .02$
>Pierce

-sounds a lot like Kill-O-Zap or some other midfifties advertising
slogan...   Opt-O-Floppy...?:-)
--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

mer@eagle_snax.UUCP ( Sun ECD TOPS) (10/31/88)

> Also on campus, even without a net, that just means that YOUR optifloppy,
> mine, and a NeXT have to share the same space for 5 minutes.  With 8Mb of
> RAM, we won't even have to swap floppies often.

Uhhhh...you can't remove the optical disk until you reboot.  No disk swapping
at all! (And no copying either, of course, without a network connection.)

rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (10/31/88)

	Just a quick question, with all the hype over the Opto-whateveryoucallit
I'm curious about what plans Apple has.  Is there any info (rumors known or
unknown)?

	Just curious.

Bob Frank                   | Disclaimer:                                   |
    - struggling undergrad  |  Nobody understands my opinions anyways!      |
      at the University of  |-----------------------------------------------|
      Illinois              | Remember:                                     |
----------------------------|  2 == 1;  /*  for very small values of 2  */  |
Send Mail to:               |-----------------------------------------------|
  rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu  |
----------------------------|

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (11/01/88)

In article <383@eagle_snax.UUCP> mer@eagle_snax.UUCP (Meridith Lesly - Sun ECD TOPS) writes:
>> Also on campus, even without a net, that just means that YOUR optifloppy,
>> mine, and a NeXT have to share the same space for 5 minutes.  With 8Mb of
>> RAM, we won't even have to swap floppies often.
>
>Uhhhh...you can't remove the optical disk until you reboot.  No disk swapping
>at all! (And no copying either, of course, without a network connection.)

Which of course means that a REAL NeXT system costs $8500, since NeXT only
sells two hard disks.  The "small" disk is 330MB and cost $2000.  I haven't
even looked at how much the 660MB drive is.

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie               "How much is a Jasmine hard disk *without*
Apple Student Rep - UC Davis              the keyboard?"
lgdemichillie@ucdavis.edu          - Weird computer customer question of
AppleLink: ST0178                         the week

Disclaimer: If you've seen one disclaimer, you've seen them all.

jsp@unccvax.UUCP (Joel Patterson) (11/02/88)

In article <491@wasatch.UUCP>, t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:

> How about just plain OPTICAL? Then you have HD, CD, OD, and FLoppies.
>
> Or if you want to get cute you can call it an "WOD" for Writeable Optical Disk.
>
> --
> Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

call it "WARM" Write And Read Many.  Akin to WORM as it uses similar
technology, plus the use of heat for writing makes it warm(if you could
feel it immediately after writing).

jsp

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (11/12/88)

In article <3237@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (L. Greg DeMichillie) writes:

>Which of course means that a REAL NeXT system costs $8500, since NeXT only
>sells two hard disks.  The "small" disk is 330MB and cost $2000.  I haven't
>even looked at how much the 660MB drive is.

Has anybody else taken notice of this?  A 330MB hard disk for only $2000!

I haven't seen anything sold for the Mac come even close to this!  In
the ads that I've seen, the cheapest 3rd party hard disks holding close
to 330MB cost at least twice as much!

Just more price gouging on the Mac front, as usual?

Trent Lange

*          "UCLA:  The fifth best country in the Olympics"           *

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (11/14/88)

"
" I haven't seen anything sold for the Mac come even close to this!  In
" the ads that I've seen, the cheapest 3rd party hard disks holding close
" to 330MB cost at least twice as much!
"
" Just more price gouging on the Mac front, as usual?

It's pretty easy to have a good price on a product that's not
available. And even when they do start selling, it's to
universities only.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford) (11/15/88)

In article <3237@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu.UUCP (L. Greg DeMichillie) writes:
]
]Which of course means that a REAL NeXT system costs $8500, since NeXT only
]sells two hard disks.  The "small" disk is 330MB and cost $2000.  I haven't
]even looked at how much the 660MB drive is.
]
The "large" disk is $4000.
--
Chris Langford  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!langford
langford@reed.bitnet           |         "And to everyone else out there,