[comp.sys.mac] Desktop file stripper

g-verbru@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Rob Verbrugghe) (11/07/88)

I love my CMS MacStack 60, but recently there's been a strain in the
relationship.  I've been reorganizing my Mac disks and have copied a
lot of stuff on to/off of the hard disk.  The Desktop file must be
huge by now with icons and what not.  It takes about ten minutes to
'Update the Desktop'.  Most of these icons are no longer needed.

I'd rebuild the desktop, but then I'll lose all of my comments.  I'd
back it all up and restore, but 1) I'm lazy;  2) If the huge Desktop
file restores too I shall be most cross.

I heard that someone had a public domain or shareware program that
stripped unneeded resources from the Desktop file.  Does anyone
know where I could find it?  I looked in sumex, but didn't see it.
I can ftp nearly anywhere if its archived, or could some kind soul
mail it to me?

Thanks,
Rob Verbrugghe
g-verbru@rocky.cs.wisc.edu          {backbone}!uwvax!rocky.cs.wisc.edu!g-verbru
g-verbru@cs.wisc.edu

nicky@cup.portal.com (nick john pilch) (11/08/88)

I hope someone can give me the definitive word on this, but it was my
understanding that system release 6.0 (and maybe 5.0) does not strip the
get info comments when rebuilding the desktop.  I thought that this was a
problem with earlier systems only.

Nick Pilch
nicky@cup.portal.com

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (11/08/88)

In article <6605@spool.cs.wisc.edu> g-verbru@rocky.cs.wisc.edu (Rob Verbrugghe) writes:
>I heard that someone had a public domain or shareware program that
>stripped unneeded resources from the Desktop file.

I'd personally recommend DiskExpress (or similiar pay-ware program), which
compresses the Desktop as well as optimizes your disk.  I remember trying
one of the PD programs to compress my Desktop, and it got rid of more
than it was supposed to, since some programs lose their icon, and I had
to rebuild the desktop again anyways.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (11/11/88)

If I wanted to elimonate unused Icons from the Desktop file & didn't want to
lose comments that I had added to about, I would open the desktop with ResEdit
and delete the resources that were not being used anymore. Takes some time,
but it is good ResEdit practice. Of course I would copy my desktop file to a
disc using and application that can copy invisible files {or make the file
visible then copy it} That way, if I accidently remove too much I would
have a backup.

Good Luck,

TeriAnn

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (11/14/88)

In article <430060@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
" If I wanted to elimonate unused Icons from the Desktop file & didn't want to
" lose comments that I had added to about, I would open the desktop with ResEdit
" and delete the resources that were not being used anymore. Takes some time,
" but it is good ResEdit practice. Of course I would copy my desktop file to a
" disc using and application that can copy invisible files {or make the file
" visible then copy it} That way, if I accidently remove too much I would
" have a backup.

Safer and easier to just use DiskExpress.  They've already debugged the
procedures for compacting the Desktop file.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) (11/14/88)

In article <430060@hpcea.ce.hp.com>, Teriann Wakeman (twakeman@hpcea.ce.hp.com)
writes:
>If I wanted to elimonate unused Icons from the Desktop file & didn't want to
>lose comments that I had added to about, I would open the desktop with ResEdit
>and delete the resources that were not being used anymore.

I didn't see the original of this message.  If what was needed is a
way to clean out the unused junk (bundles, icons, etc.) in the
DeskTop, I have a program (public-domain) in LSC which does a pretty
good job.  I can E-mail it to people, or will post it to
comp.mac.sources (and comp.mac.binaries) if there is sufficient
interest.
  If you're interested, mail me at rang@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "UNIX: Just Say No!"   | "Do worry...be SAD!" |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |                      |
+---------------------------+------------------------+----------------------+

myers@vms.macc.wisc.edu (jeff myers) (11/15/88)

In article <430060@hpcea.CE.HP.COM>, twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes...

>If I wanted to elimonate unused Icons from the Desktop file & didn't want to
>lose comments that I had added to about, I would open the desktop with ResEdit
>and delete the resources that were not being used anymore. Takes some time,
>but it is good ResEdit practice. Of course I would copy my desktop file to a
>disc using and application that can copy invisible files {or make the file
>visible then copy it} That way, if I accidently remove too much I would
>have a backup.

DiskExpress also does a bangup job with no hassle and correspondingly
little change of error.  It's primary use is as a disk defragmenter, but
the desktop file compression feature is also useful.

Cheers, jeff m