[comp.sys.mac] RESULTS: Editors which use the extended keyboard

pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel J Pezely) (11/01/88)

About a week ago, I posted a request for information about editors which
make use of the extended keyboard.  Here is an overview of what I was
mailed:

One suggestion was to get QUED/M.  I haven't found any stores that had
a copy in stock to demo, so I don't know anything about it.

The cheapest solution is to get the latest version of the System software and
use MacroMaker to redefine the extended keys in any software package.  If
you bring your own blank disks, most computer stores will let you copy the
latest version of the Mac system software.

MacroMaker is a pain to use at first because there is no manual (unless you
purchase one from Apple).  Check out the latest issue of MacUser (November)
and read the article about the new System Software, page 184.  It will
tell you how to get an official copy from Apple, manuals and everything.
MacroMaker is an INIT on the second utilities disk.  When it is in your system
folder and after you rebooted, there will be an additional menu in Finder and
all applications.  After playing around with it for about 10 minutes, you'll
figure out how to use it.

One Thing to remember about defining a macro, If you use the mouse for things
such as PGUP/PGDN, Delete Line, and Top Of File, the exact screen (global)
coordinates are recorded by MacroMaker.  What I did, was to define PGUP/PGDN
as 30 or so UP/DN key strokes.  Delete Line is SHIFT+OPT+LEFT, SHIFT+OPT+RIGHT,
BACKSPACE, DOWN, and BACKSPACE.  These may not be the best ways, but they work.
The only problem is that PGUP/PGDN is really slow.

					- Daniel Pezely (pez@vax1.acs.udel.edu)
					  University of Delaware

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/01/88)

In article <2248@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> pez@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Daniel J Pezely) writes:

>About a week ago, I posted a request for information about editors which
>make use of the extended keyboard.  Here is an overview of what I was
>mailed:
>
>One suggestion was to get QUED/M.  I haven't found any stores that had
>a copy in stock to demo, so I don't know anything about it.
>
>The cheapest solution is to get the latest version of the System software and
>use MacroMaker to redefine the extended keys in any software package.  If
>you bring your own blank disks, most computer stores will let you copy the
>latest version of the Mac system software.

>One Thing to remember about defining a macro, If you use the mouse for things
>such as PGUP/PGDN, Delete Line, and Top Of File, the exact screen (global)
>coordinates are recorded by MacroMaker.  What I did, was to define PGUP/PGDN
>as 30 or so UP/DN key strokes. Delete Line is SHIFT+OPT+LEFT, SHIFT+OPT+RIGHT,
>BACKSPACE, DOWN, and BACKSPACE. These may not be the best ways, but they work.
>The only problem is that PGUP/PGDN is really slow.
>
>					- Daniel Pezely (pez@vax1.acs.udel.edu)
>					  University of Delaware

This is a really good reason to spring the extra money (~$65 mail order) for
C.E. Software's wonderful package QuicKeys.  Amongst its many features are the
ability to add what they call "Mousies" to a macro sequence.  A Mousey is a
mouse sequence that performs an action on the topmost window, regardless of its
screen coordinates.  The built-in mousies include:

Line up/down (click in arrow on vertical scroll bar)
Page up/down ( "    at extreme end of vertical scroll bar)
Home/End     (drag elevator to top or bottom of scroll bar)
similar horizontal actions
close        (click in close box)
zoom         (  "   "  zoom  "  )

Theses are just a few of the many many things a quickey macro can do.
I have used it for many things ranging from making my keyboard the perfect
emacs keyboard when I'm logged in (things like make option a true meta-key
[unavailable in versaterm] by making opt-<key>  ==> esc<key>) to setting
up some really handy macros for moving things around in hypercard stacks
under development.

Anyway I love it.

Josh Hodas

(Disclaimer:  I have no connection at all with C.E. software other than
              believing that Don Brown is a God)

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/15/88)

Two other editors which use the extended keyboard well are Word 3.02 and
FoxBase+/Mac's internal program editor.

Come to think of it, the Fox editor is a damn good piece of work. Not that
I'd recommend it for writing the Great American Novel... On the other hand,
word is a pain, but it can be used as a programmer's editor with a little
bit of planning. I'd much rather use Qued/M, though...

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/