[comp.sys.mac] euro power mac info needed

rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (10/27/88)

 I have a student from France who is considering buying a Mac
 while here in the US (at school), but he is concerned about
 taking it home later.  I note on the SE specifications that
 it is listed as accepting 50-60HZ and two ranges of voltage.
 Since he will be looking at running 220 @ 50 hz, is the SE
 directly usable there (I presume there might be a switch
 internally for the voltage supply).  How about the Plus?
 How about an Apple HD (or Jasmine HD).  He would greatly
 appreciate any information.

 thanks -

 -Bob Wier at Flagstaff, Arizona   Northern Arizona University
  NAU Box 15600                    *usual disclaimers*
  Flagstaff, Az.                   ...arizona!naucse!rwi
  86011                            602-523-2052

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (11/04/88)

in article <984@naucse.UUCP>, rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) says:

>  I have a student from France who is considering buying a Mac
>  while here in the US (at school), but he is concerned about
>  taking it home later.  I note on the SE specifications that
>  it is listed as accepting 50-60HZ and two ranges of voltage.
>  Since he will be looking at running 220 @ 50 hz, is the SE
>  directly usable there (I presume there might be a switch
>  internally for the voltage supply).  How about the Plus?
>  How about an Apple HD (or Jasmine HD).  He would greatly
>  appreciate any information.
>
>  thanks -

The SE (and the II) have "switching" power supplies. That means that
they will automatically switch between 110 and 220; they can also
automatically work with either 50 or 60 Hz. The plus will not do this.
To run the plus on 220, you'd need a step-down transformer. That's OK
for temporary use, but not really recommended over the long haul. Your
student should look at the SE.

I'm sorry, but I don't know about the hard drives.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

ribet@maalox.berkeley.edu (Kenneth A. Ribet) (11/08/88)

In article <679@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

>in article <984@naucse.UUCP>, rwi@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) says:
>>

>>  I have a student from France who is considering buying a Mac
>>  while here in the US (at school), but he is concerned about
>>  taking it home later.  I note on the SE specifications that
>>  it is listed as accepting 50-60HZ and two ranges of voltage.
>>  Since he will be looking at running 220 @ 50 hz, is the SE
>>  directly usable there (I presume there might be a switch
>>  internally for the voltage supply).  How about the Plus?
>>  How about an Apple HD (or Jasmine HD).  He would greatly
>>  appreciate any information.
>>
>>  thanks -

>The SE (and the II) have "switching" power supplies. That means that
>they will automatically switch between 110 and 220; they can also
>automatically work with either 50 or 60 Hz. The plus will not do this.
>To run the plus on 220, you'd need a step-down transformer. That's OK
>for temporary use, but not really recommended over the long haul. Your
>student should look at the SE.

>I'm sorry, but I don't know about the hard drives.

>Jan Harrington, sysop
>Scholastech Telecommunications
>UUCP: husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
>BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

I brought an Apple SCSI 20 meg hard disk over to France, and it
worked flawlessly with its switching power supply. Friends and
colleagues have successfully used US-purchased SE's and Mac II's
without any problem in France.  A number of French colleagues have
Data Frame 20's which were bought in the US; these have power
supplies which have to be switched by hand (move a jumper cable on
the power supply board).

I can also report that a US ImageWriter II was used in France for
one full year with no apparent difficulty, despite warnings from
various people that the printer would not like the 50 Hz current.
(A transformer was used to step down to 110 V.)

Does anyone on the net have experience with 110V LaserWriter I's?
Can they be used in Europe with a step-down transformer?  I'm worried
both by the 50 Hz and by the large amount of power which is required
by the LW.

Ken Ribet, UC Berkeley Math Department
UUCP:  ...ucbvax!math!ribet
Internet: ribet@math.berkeley.edu
BITNET: ribet@ucbcmsa

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (11/09/88)

>The SE (and the II) have "switching" power supplies. That means that
>they will automatically switch between 110 and 220; they can also
>automatically work with either 50 or 60 Hz. The plus will not do this.

A nit:

Using conventional terminology, _all_ Macintoshes have switching power
supplies.  This term refers to the type of circuitry used to implement
the power supply.  It is possible to design a switching power suppply that
does not care whether it is fed from 110 or 220 volt mains.  Apple has
chosen to do this for the SE.  Another term should be used to describe
this (dare I suggest 'universal switching power supply'?)

It is also quite possible to design a non-switching power supply that
does not care whether it is fed from 110 or 220.  (Not necessarily
efficient or cheap, just _possible_.)

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/15/88)

If you buy an internal drive for an SE or II you needn't worry about power
as the Mac will provide whatever the drive needs.

If you want an external box, buy MicroNet. They sell very nice stuff, with a
universal power supply just like the ones in Mac SEs and IIs. They have good
prices on smaller drives and unbeatable prices on large CDCs and Priams (150
to 620 MB).

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/