[comp.sys.mac] System error -37

c60a-2ce@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Mikey) (11/13/88)

I was downloading a big batch of binhexed files from my Unix acct to my
Mac when I first encountered the system error -37. I looked this up in
all my references and could only glean this very descriptive explanation:
bad name. What the hell?
The thing that really vexes me is that I get this intermittently, and I
can't find a pattern. I would use Xmodem (Y mode) and kermit on Unix,
and I got this error for both! My Mac would receive a bunch of files
properly in the batch, and then out of the blue I'd get this message,
and my transfer aborts. PLEASE HELP!
Please reply via e-mail; I just don't have enough time to go thru
the entire newsgroup. Thanks a lot!
c60a-2ce@web.berkeley.edu.......................................Mikey
*** Call Tanelorn III! (415) 540-1180. The Apple/Mac BBS of Berkeley.

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (11/13/88)

Is it possible that one of the file names has a colon ":" in it? This is
the only character considered bad in the HFS, as it is used to denote
path names. From the sounds of it, you're downloading multiple files at once,
and one of the files kills the transfer. This could explain why.

Bob Hablutzel	BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/15/88)

In article <16930@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2ce@e260-2b.berkeley.edu (Mikey)
writes:
>I was downloading a big batch of binhexed files from my Unix acct to my
>Mac when I first encountered the system error -37. I looked this up in
>all my references and could only glean this very descriptive explanation:
>bad name. What the hell?
>The thing that really vexes me is that I get this intermittently, and I
>can't find a pattern. I would use Xmodem (Y mode) and kermit on Unix,
>and I got this error for both! My Mac would receive a bunch of files
>properly in the batch, and then out of the blue I'd get this message,
>and my transfer aborts. PLEASE HELP!

Bad file name error.  Maybe the name of the volume you're saving your
files to on the Mac is wrong.  Maybe a non-printing character got into
the file name.  Maybe there isn't a file name (that is, it has zero
characters).  A good Mac program should give you full text explanations
of these things when they happen, since it's only about a day's work
and a fairly small STR# resource, but sadly, many developers don't
bother.

It would be possible to write an INIT that latched onto these stupid
uninformative error numbers and automagically expanded them; maybe if
I'm really bored I'll do it someday.  A better solution would be for
Apple to start building error reporting into the system.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Prisons are built with stones of Law, Brothels with bricks of Religion."

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (11/15/88)

I posted the following nearly two weeks ago but received no response
(maybe it didn't get out?) -- I'd really like to know how a -37 happens.

  I typically start Excel by double clicking a renamed "resume" type
  file which automatically opens up a macro file of my "utility" command
  macros.

  Often when I double click this file, I get an alert saying there was
  an error (I don't remember the actual text) with file I/O, type -37.
  If i clear the alert (press OK) and double click the same file, Excel
  starts up normally. . . .

  The usual stuff: This has happened with Excel 1.03, and 1.5; System
  5.0 and 6.0.2; under Multifinder (I don't run often without) on 2.5
  Meg Plus and SE.  Also a goodly collection of INITs including Suitcase
  (1.2 and II), Pyro! (2.? and 3), and others.  And TMON (usually).  I
  tried rebuilding the desktop and it didn't help.

All the files (Excel, the resume file, the data files) are on the same
hard disk (which is also the startup disk).

        Thanks / JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

sec@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Stephen E. Collins) (11/16/88)

In article <32310@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) writes:
>   I typically start Excel by double clicking a ... [data file].
>
>   Often when I double click this file, I get an alert saying there was
>   an error (I don't remember the actual text) with file I/O, type -37.
>   If i clear the alert (press OK) and double click the same file, Excel
>   starts up normally. . . .

I have also encountered this problem.  However, I have very few INITs
nor TMON, so they probably aren't related to the problem.  I'm
interested in any solution to the problem!
----
Stephen E. Collins                                   sec@ux.acss.umn.edu
ACSS Microcomputer & Workstation Systems Group       sec@UMNACVX.BITNET
University of Minnesota