[comp.sys.mac] Using the Desktop Manager- are there problems with large volumes?

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/30/88)

I have not used the Desktop Manager in the past because I heard (from a
source I considered reliable) that it would quickly crash & burn on
disks 80 MB or larger, taking the disk with it. However, I have since
heard from several people that it works fine. Therefore, I would like to
hear from anyone who has either
1) Used the DTM successfully with large disks, or
2) Had serious problems with the DTM.

I do NOT want to hear about not being able to dismount (put in the trash)
floppies or other removable media, since I already know about that problem.

I would like to know if there are any problems running the DTM on a hard
disk and use the usual desktop file on the floppies.

I am leaving for a week on Monday, so I won't be responding to mail or news
until Election Day.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

urlichs@iraun1.ira.uka.de (Matthias Urlichs) (11/15/88)

In article <965@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>I have not used the Desktop Manager in the past because I heard (from a
>source I considered reliable) that it would quickly crash & burn on
>disks 80 MB or larger, taking the disk with it. However, I have since
>heard from several people that it works fine. Therefore, I would like to
>hear from anyone who has either
>1) Used the DTM successfully with large disks, or
>2) Had serious problems with the DTM.

Crash&burn occurs on big HDs _without_ the Desktop Manager because the
old Desktop file consists of resources and when the finder puts more
and more of these into the Desktop file, it gets full... Spectacular
crash & bang. Might kill some data but not the whole HD.

With DTM I did not encounter any problems. I do have to rebuild the
desktop file sometimes because restoring programs from backup doesn't
get them registered in the DT file(s) but that occurs with the "old"
method too.

What I would like to get from Apple is an upgraded version which lets me
unmount volumes and such. And I'd rather not wait for System 7.0 or whatever.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- D-7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- ++49+721-621127
urlichs@ira.uka.de -- pyramid!tmpmbx!smurf!urlichs

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (11/17/88)

In article <692@iraun1.ira.uka.de> urlichs@iraun1.UUCP (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In article <965@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>
>>I have not used the Desktop Manager in the past because I heard (from a
>>source I considered reliable) that it would quickly crash & burn on
>>disks 80 MB or larger, taking the disk with it. However, I have since
>
>Crash&burn occurs on big HDs _without_ the Desktop Manager because the
>old Desktop file consists of resources and when the finder puts more
>and more of these into the Desktop file, it gets full... Spectacular
>crash & bang. Might kill some data but not the whole HD.
>What I would like to get from Apple is an upgraded version which lets me
>unmount volumes and such. And I'd rather not wait for System 7.0 or whatever.

There was a bug in the Desktop Manager shipped with AppleShare 1.0 and 1.1 that
caused problems with Desktop files that are larger than a Meg. However, this
problem manifested itself by not allowing one to verify the status of an
AppleShare volume at startup, and occurred when there were around 8000-12,000
files on disk. I don't know what effects it has on single user systems.

I would also like to mention, again, that Apple does NOT recommend the use of
the Desktop Manager for use outside of AppleShare Server environments. We
never tested it for use on single user systems, and as far as I know, we still
haven't. I would really hate to see someone lose their hard disk becuase they
were using the Desktop Manager.

Keith Rollin                               UUCP:      amdahl\
Developer Technical Support                      pyramid!sun !apple!keith
Apple Computer                                        decwrl/
                                         BITNET: keith%apple.com@relay.cs.net
"You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/17/88)

In article <20724@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>I would also like to mention, again, that Apple does NOT recommend the use of
>the Desktop Manager for use outside of AppleShare Server environments. We
>never tested it for use on single user systems, and as far as I know, we still
>haven't. I would really hate to see someone lose their hard disk becuase they
>were using the Desktop Manager.

I would, too, but I have been using Desktop Manager for some time on 80 and 150
meg drives with no problems.  I also hate to see the OLD desktop system crash.
Don't just wring your hands for us,... fix it.  This is a LONG standing known
problem, and it is intolerable to have Apple tell us that we shouldn't use the
one thing that looks like it works, without providing an alternative.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)