[comp.sys.mac] Using the Desktop Manager

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/16/88)

A few weeks ago I asked about problems using the Desktop Manager from
AppleShare with large disks (on regular Macs, not the servers).

Excepting the well-known problem of not being able to dismount floppies,
no problems were reported. Nobody mentioned whether it was possible to run
a normal DeskTop file on floppies and use the DTM on hard disks.

This is a summary of seven responses.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/17/88)

In article <993@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Excepting the well-known problem of not being able to dismount floppies,
>no problems were reported. Nobody mentioned whether it was possible to run
>a normal DeskTop file on floppies and use the DTM on hard disks.

If you boot from a disk that does not have the Desktop Manager init, the system
will insist on building a "normal" desktop file on your other disks.  Other
than that, it works OK.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)