[comp.sys.mac] Lightspeed/Just Enough/ MacPascal...

bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) (11/17/88)

  I have heard that Just Enough Pascal is a rehashing of MacPascal, which
Think bought back from Apple this year. Is there going to be any kind of trade
in offered to those of us who bought MacPascal , and are now stuck with a
useless interpreter ? The official word I got from Apple is that they
are "no longer supporting it."  It did serve a purpose -- you couldn't beat
it for teaching intro Pascal, because you didnt have to worry about explaining
projects, compiling, linking, etc......

			Just Curious...

				Mike Bell
				bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

sec@berlin.acss.umn.edu (Stephen E. Collins) (11/17/88)

In article <6211@netnews.upenn.edu>, bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) writes:
>   I have heard that Just Enough Pascal is a rehashing of MacPascal, which
> Think bought back from Apple this year. Is there going to be any kind of trade
> in offered to those of us who bought MacPascal , and are now stuck with a
> useless interpreter ? The official word I got from Apple is that they
> are "no longer supporting it."  It did serve a purpose -- you couldn't beat
> it for teaching intro Pascal, because you didnt have to worry about explaining
> projects, compiling, linking, etc......

Here at the University of Minnesota we completely phased out both TML Pascal
and MacPascal in favor of Borland's Turbo Pascal.  We found Turbo was
even easier to use and explain than MacPascal for teaching, and since
it is a compiler, it is useful for developing "real" applications.
Although it doesn't have the capabilities of MPW, Turbo serves most of
our users just fine.

Moreover, I prefer to develop most Mac applications in Turbo, where the
compile/debug cycle is much quicker than MPW, then convert them
over to MPW for the final touches, if necessary.
+------------------------------------+----------------------------+

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/17/88)

In article <6211@netnews.upenn.edu> bell@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mike Bell) writes:
>  I have heard that Just Enough Pascal is a rehashing of MacPascal, which

	You've been misinformed. Just Enough Pascal is a tutorial system that
works in conjunction with Lightspeed Pascal 2.0, NOT a new version of
Macintosh Pascal. Macintosh Pascal as such still exists and is being sold
through EduTech, Symantec's  education distributor.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.