[comp.sys.mac] SCSI drives for LW, and init incompatibilities

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/18/88)

Does anyone have an accurate list of all SCSI drives that work as font
storage devices with the LaserWriter II NTX?  Has anyone had experience
with specific drives, good or bad?  Any relevant hints or tips?

Why would the Earth and Boot Logger inits be incompatible?  Earth is an
init that changes the apple symbol in the menu bar into a spinning planet
earth, and Boot Logger is an init that appends a line to a file called
Boot Log with the date and time each time your machine is started up.
Earth causes a system error (ID=01), but ONLY when Boot Logger executes
before it (I haven't tried renaming them to reorder them).  Theoretically,
Boot Logger does one thing and then leaves memory.  Why might these two
inits, which don't do things even REMOTELY similar to one another, be
incompatible?

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (11/18/88)

In article <6849@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
> Does anyone have an accurate list of all SCSI drives that work as font
> storage devices with the LaserWriter II NTX?  Has anyone had experience
> with specific drives, good or bad?  Any relevant hints or tips?

According to the 11/15 MacWeek (page 22), Adobe has tested the following
drive modules with ther IINTX:  Seagate ST225N, Rodime 650 series
(RO651, TP652, RO751, RO752), Quantum Q200 series (Q250, Q280),
Miniscribe 8425-SCSI.  Any drive built with one of these modules should
work OK.

The key to compatibility with the IINTX is that the drive's controller
must honor the "read capacity" SCSI command.  Most drives built with
"embedded" controllers support this command;  drives built with a
"bridge" controller (i.e., a SCSI interface that drives an ST506 drive)
generally don't support "read capacity" because the ST506 drive
interface doesn't include a drive-capacity feature.

The following drive vendors state that all of their _current_ products
use embedded SCSI controllers: CMS, DPI, Peripheral Land, Mass Micro,
GCC, LaCie, Crate, Western Digital, Rodime, Everex, Giga Cell, Relax,
Microtech, FWB, Cutting Edge, Apple, Ehman, IBNC, Supra, and PCPC.

Some of the older products sold by these vendors may not use embedded
SCSI controllers, and thus wouldn't be compatible with the IINTX.

Some vendors (including SuperMac, Priam, Warp Nine/Mirror, and Jasmine)
currently market both embedded-SCSI-based and bridge-controller-based
models.  Call these vendors for information.