[comp.sys.mac] Background File Copy utility? Program Killer Utility?

korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU (11/17/88)

There are a couple utilities that would be handy to have, but I haven't seen
them. If they exist, pointers would be very welcome.

1) A utility to copy files from one volume to another in the background.
   Specifically from the hard disk to an Appleshare file server, but that
   shouldn't matter.

2) An fkey or something that will stop a program. The mac equivalent of
   "kill -9" on unix. Two minutes ago, for example, I ran a program in which
   I had accidentally disabled the Quit item in the file menu. In this case I
   got out of the problem by hitting the interrupt switch and typing
   "G FINDER", but is there a better way? Can the interrupt switch method
   cause any problems?

Thanks for any information.

   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@cs.ucla.edu
   UUCP : {ucbvax,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/18/88)

In article <18004@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> korfhage@CS.UCLA.EDU (Willard Korfhage)
writes:
>There are a couple utilities that would be handy to have, but I haven't seen
>them. If they exist, pointers would be very welcome.
>[...]
>2) An fkey or something that will stop a program. The mac equivalent of
>   "kill -9" on unix. Two minutes ago, for example, I ran a program in which
>   I had accidentally disabled the Quit item in the file menu. In this case I
>   got out of the problem by hitting the interrupt switch and typing
>   "G FINDER", but is there a better way? Can the interrupt switch method
>   cause any problems?

That's a great trick! I didn't know that worked without all of MacsBug
loaded ('ES' command).

Since I didn't, I cooked up an FKEY that does the same thing. Go into ResEdit,
make an FKEY resource, and just put in the two bytes "A9F4" which is the trap
for ExitToShell. Works like a charm. Just don't hit it by accident, and be
aware that it's a little more difficult to write the file-closing FKEY that
you'll need to clean up afterwards.

Your method is actually stronger since the FKEY depends on the application
still being in (resonably) working order. The interrupt switch will almost
always work.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/