[comp.sys.mac] Laser printer summary- some corrections.

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/16/88)

In the recent summary of laser printer information, one response caught my eye:
>From: optilink!cramer@kontron (Clayton Cramer)
>
>I have experience with the Apple LaserWriter IIntx, and it seems to work
>quite well.  The print isn't quite as dark as it was on the original
>LaserWriter Plus, but it does OK.  Keep in mind that if you will printing
>any significant amount of graphics that cover a lot of area, the write
>white engine of the LaserWriter IIntx won't do a great job -- the blacks
>won't be black.  Some of the other PostScript printers out there have
>write black engines, and do a much better job for this sort of thing --
>the AST TurboLaser/PS for example -- but a good many of the ASTs have
>a problem with "bearding" characters, perhaps because of an adjustment
>problem.

This is really ridiculous. For starters, the NTX uses the Canon SX engine,
which (like the previous Canon CX engine) is a write-black engine. Worse,
there is an assumption here that write-white engines produce bad blacks,
when in fact they will generally produce much _better_ blacks than W-B
engines. Thus the AST printer (which has the same engine that the NTX uses)
does NOT produce better blacks. There are some W-W engines out there, and
they do produce the best blacks. I think that Ricoh engines are W-W (but
don't quote me). At any rate, the new SX engine generally produces much
better blacks than the old CX engine, to the point where it is usually
acceptable even for large black areas. So basically, believe the opposite
of everything in that note, and you'll be fine.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

joel@arizona.edu (Joel Snyder) (11/17/88)

Alexis Rosen writes about write-white vs. write-black engines.
Although I don't have enough direct experience with the Ricoh to
really judge whether he's write or not, (whoops...RIGHT or not)
I can say that either of the Apple LaserWriters produce better
output than the Toshiba 26 ppm write-white engine, when it comes
to big black areas.  The LaserWriters tend to be much darker,
but spotty.  The spottiness goes away when you shake the toner
cartridge (at least at our site it does).  The Toshiba is not nearly
as dark, but is always even all the way through, barring scratches
or other miscellaneous debris on the drum.  So, my point is
that it is NOT true that write-white engines are better or worse
than write-black engines, but it IS true that some engines are
better than other engines, particularly in printing large black
areas.

jms

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/18/88)

In article <7926@megaron.arizona.edu> jms@mis.arizona.edu (Joel Snyder) writes:
>Alexis Rosen writes about write-white vs. write-black engines.
>[...] I can say that either of the Apple LaserWriters produce better
>output than the Toshiba 26 ppm write-white engine, when it comes
>to big black areas.  The LaserWriters tend to be much darker,
>but spotty.  The spottiness goes away when you shake the toner
>cartridge (at least at our site it does).  The Toshiba is not nearly
>as dark, but is always even all the way through, barring scratches
>or other miscellaneous debris on the drum.  So, my point is
>that it is NOT true that write-white engines are better or worse
>than write-black engines, but it IS true that some engines are
>better than other engines, particularly in printing large black
>areas.

Well... Your Toshiba may be running out of toner :-)

Seriously, I didn't say that one was better than the other. Of course all
engines are created UNequal, and it is possible (even easy) to build an
engine of one type that is in all respects worse than some engine of the
other type. But there are two rules of thumb that are _usualy_ applicable:

1) Since write-black engines are effectively painting black onto a white
   background, they will be more likely to exhibit streaking over large
   areas of black.

2) Since write-white engines paint white onto a black background, they are
   more prone to leaving the insides of very small closed outlines (like the
   closed loop at the bottom of a six-point letter 'a') filled in.

Don't post about how _your_ printer isn't like that... These are only
generalities... Also, be aware that the state of your toner cartridge can
have overwhelming effect on the quality of your output.

----