[comp.sys.mac] Hard disk won't initialize

kenk@richsun.UUCP (Ken Konecki) (11/17/88)

I always hoped it would never happen to me.....

I have a basic Mac SE: 1 Meg RAM, 20 Meg internal hard disk. Yes-
terday  evening  I  began  to  do a complete backup with Diskfit.
After the first floppy of the smart set was filled, the hard disk
started making a very rythmic 'kerchunk'ing noise and Diskfit was
getting -36 errors and was reporting them as I/O error/Bad Media.
Things  are  not  looking good.

I cancelled the backup procedure, and  after  more  rythmic  ker-
chunking  I  was told that the finder was >poof<  gone. Ok, fine.
Click on restart.  More kerchunking, followed by  a  floppy  disk
icon   with  a  big question mark.  Bad,  real bad.   I popped in
the system floppy and got the Mac to boot  (the  hard  disk  ker-
chunking  happily  away...)  with one problem: the  desktop shows
no hard disk. Well, things are now beyond real bad.

After the hard disk stopped its kerchunking I try  running   Disk
First Aid,  in  hopes that maybe something can be done. Nope, the
drive just ain't there as far as anyone's concerned. Rats.  Okay,
I   say  to myself, looks like I have to reinitialize the disk. I
run the HD setup program provided on the System  disk,  click  on
initialize  and  >surprise<,  the  software indicates a potential
hardware failure, can't initialize.

Question time: What happened?
               What can I do about the  problem?  (and  how  much
		will it cost? :-)

Please E-Mail responses to me.

Thanks,
        -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
kenk@richsun.UUCP	-or-	...!uunet!richsun!kenk	-or- kenk@richp1.UUCP

kenk@richsun.UUCP (Ken Konecki) (11/18/88)

In article <87@richsun.UUCP> kenk@richsun.UUCP (Me!!) writes:
>I always hoped it would never happen to me.....

*** My story of hard disk disappearing ***

>Question time: What happened?
>               What can I do about the  problem?  (and  how  much
>		will it cost? :-)

Ok, now I'm *REALLY* baffled. Last night, I turned on the Mac just to see
if anything more could be done. And lo and behold, everything was ok.
The hard disk showed up on the desktop, and as far as I was able to
determine, no data was lost. I was able to perform the backup that
first started the problem.

But still the question remains: What happened?!?