[comp.sys.mac] new PRAM stuff

borton@uva.UUCP (Chris Borton) (11/19/88)

In article <15071@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:
>  There are two UNDOCUMENTED traps, _ReadXPRAM and _WriteXPRAM, which
>handle reading and writing to the extended PRAM area. At least, they
>aren't documented in any TechNotes through 210...
>
>  Now for my question: (two parts): how can I determine the total size
>of PRAM, and how can I make use of _ReadXPRAM to access the "new"
>settings? The old PRAM was 20 bytes (or at least, the data structure
>it held was that size), but how to tell the "new" size?? I'd like to
>be able to incorporate this in the next version of MacEnvy, so that
>users can determine whether or not they have the Plus clock chip in a
>512/512E machine. (Apparently, the new clock chip was used in 512K Macs
>months before the introduction of the Plus...)

On a similar note, has there been a documented/published value for the ISO
ADB keyboard?  This came out after IM V, I believe, and lots of things don't
recognize it as they theoretically should.  [Note: if it isn't documented,
and I haven't found it anywhere--just looked in X-Ref, and V-367 only has the
first two--then I'm blaming Apple]  Programmer's Key fails on this keyboard,
and MacEnvy says "Unknown keyboard" (thanks for being that thorough, Ken!).

For the curious, the ISO ADB keyboard is sort of the international version of
the standard ADB keyboard that has three extra keys squeezed in via a
squished Return key and small Shift keys.  There are different mappings for
different languages, of course.

-cbb
--
Chris Borton	borton%uva@mcvax.{nl,bitnet,uucp}
Rotary Scholar, University of Amsterdam CS