[comp.sys.mac] Transferring Files between Macs over AppleTalk

loganj@byuvax.bitnet (11/19/88)

And in article <10980@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Earle R. Horton writes:
>     The problem with this program is that it does not allow the
>Macintosh end of the program to initiate ftp transfers.  You must
>start up ftp from a system with a command line user interface, then
>ftp to the Mac.  From this point, all transfers are implemented by
>entering a command to the ftp running on the non-Macintosh host.
>
>     However, the source code for NCSA Telnet is available, so maybe
>someday an enterprising programmer will put in the code necessary for
>Mac-to-Mac ftp.

Can you keep a secret?

I've just finished implementing a simple command line interface and
the ftp initiating functions in NCSA Telnet v2.2.  I have successfully
transfered files between Macintoshes using the MacBinary format, and I
have successfully transfered files between the Mac and other kinds of
systems (text files).  The functions that work so far are "cd", "lcd",
"dir", "ldir", "type", "ls", "send", "get", "recv", "user", "pass",
"rena", "quit", "bye", "macb" and maybe a few others.

This interface is the non-macintosh (and stupid) "command and scroll"
type taken directly from the "lower life form" IBM pc version - I wanted
to get something working fast and worry about elegance later.  At least
it is multi-session like the rest of NCSA Telnet.

Seems to work okay, but it's not quite ready to be released.  Our plans
are to put it all back in the public domain, with source, unless someone
here changes their mind.

PLEASE PLEASE don't send me any email about this - I already get more
email than I can read.  I will post something to the net about
availability later...

Regards,
jim