[comp.sys.mac] New Games for the Mac

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/20/88)

Was just looking through the new EggHead Christmas Catalog, and saw a few
new/recent Mac games that looked interesting, including:

HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER: Get your Soviet Sub to America without being
                          captured/destroyed by Soviet forces.  From the
                          Tom Clancy best-seller.  If the Russians are as
                          dumb in the game as they are in the book, it
                          won't be much of a challange.  Electronic Arts.

MEAN 18, ULTIMATE GOLD:   New golf game from Accolade.

MANHUNTER: NEW YORK:      You're an undercover agent in post-Apocalypse
                          Manhattan (how can you tell the difference? :-) )
                          for the alien dicatorship that controls the city.
                          Sounds like they have a good graphics interface.

SPACE QUEST II:           I seem to remember someone recommending SPACE QUEST;
                          I like the premise of II, where you have to stop the
                          villain, Vohaul, from sending legions of insurance
                          salesmen to Earth -- "genetically engineered to
                          never take 'No' for an answer."  It advertises 3D
                          animation.

----

Has anyone seen/heard things about these games?  Recommendations or
non-recommendations?  I'll probably pick up RED OCTOBER because I like
submarine games...

                           "I am the Supreme Being, you know.  I'm not
                            entirely dim."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (11/21/88)

In article <6063@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>Was just looking through the new EggHead Christmas Catalog, and saw a few
>new/recent Mac games that looked interesting, including:
>
> [game discussion]
>
>MEAN 18, ULTIMATE GOLD:   New golf game from Accolade.
>
> [more games]
>
>Has anyone seen/heard things about these games?  Recommendations or
>non-recommendations?  I'll probably pick up RED OCTOBER because I like
>submarine games...
>
>                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
>INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
>Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
>CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...
><*> DISCLAIMER: Do what you want with me, but leave my employers alone! <*>

I have MEAN 18 for the IBM-PC, and it's fun, entertaining and (for me) seems
to present similar problems as real golf, mostly vis-a-vis shot strategy and
(most important), eye-hand timing.  On the PC, you hit the space bar 3 times
to make a shot: 1st to start the backswing, again to start the downswing (this
regulates the strength of the shot), and a 3rd time to "snap the wrists".  It's
quite similar to real golf timing, and the results are realistic.  The PC
version includes a Course Architect, so you can create your own courses or
modify the ones they include.  I find this game, while less graphically
sophisticated and without the nuance control that MacGolf has, to be a lot
more fun.  Basically, you're hitting shots a lot more of the time.  I'm rather
curious about the Mac version--if the graphics are decent, it'll win over
MacGolf (which is very pretty and very complex and hence, not a hell of a lot
of fun to actually play).

= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =
= Marc Johnson			  BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet           =
= Rockefeller U. Neurobiology     UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc                 =
= New York City      (129.85.2.1) INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu   =