[comp.sys.mac] Disk help

dmm@genrad.com (Dottie MacKeen) (11/19/88)

Has anyone seen this problem and can you help with diagnosis/treatment

A couple weeks ago we began having problems creating MacIntosh system
& application disks from what we believed to be good disks.  When we
tried to use the new disks, the system seemed to think the floppy disk
was divided into two physical disks (sometimes the icon would just
move from the top right to the next position - sometimes there were
two icons).  Files were hidden although the disk space used count
indicated that the files/folders were there.  In some cases, the disk
appeared to contain the system folder (which was hidden in some
instances) but could not read data files on another disk (would
indicate the disk was empty).  In one case, when we copied system
files from a hard disk that we believe to have files installed from
distribution disks, the icon for the laser printer and laser prep were
incorrect - showed up as sheets of paper.  When we tried to use the
laser printer the system identified the printer name as "pixelpaint is
great".  I assume pixelpaint is a product but it is not one that I
know about and I am not aware that we have it in-house.

We have attempted to eliminate known problems - multiple system files
on the hard disk, incompatibilities between versions of the system,
physically bad floppy disks.

Once a floppy disk has developed this problem, erasing the disk and
installing a system from another disk does not seem to resolve the
problem.

The local computer store personnel think we have a virus.  However,
the disk they furnished with virus detection software gives the disks
a clean bill of health.  Which means, I guess, that at least we don't
have a well known virus.

As far as we can determine, the programs on the disks run OK - both
hard disks and floppies - the problems seem to appear when you create
a new system disk.  That new disk is not usable.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Any suggestions on possible
cause - or even better - possible fixes?

Dottie MacKeen  dmm@genrad.com

lgeorge@melbcae.edu.au (11/21/88)

In article <13450@genrad.UUCP>, dmm@genrad.com (Dottie MacKeen) writes:
> Has anyone seen this problem and can you help with diagnosis/treatment
>
> A couple weeks ago we began having problems creating MacIntosh system
> & application disks from what we believed to be good disks.  When we
> tried to use the new disks, the system seemed to think the floppy disk
> was divided into two physical disks (sometimes the icon would just
> move from the top right to the next position - sometimes there were
> two icons).  Files were hidden although the disk space used count
> indicated that the files/folders were there.  In some cases, the disk
> appeared to contain the system folder (which was hidden in some
> instances) but could not read data files on another disk (would
> indicate the disk was empty).  In one case, when we copied system
> files from a hard disk that we believe to have files installed from
> distribution disks, the icon for the laser printer and laser prep were
> incorrect - showed up as sheets of paper.  When we tried to use the

     This problem sounds familiar.  The last time I had this problem was when
I tried to run a non-HFS system on a HFS formatted disk.
Can I suggest that you check your system/finder combination, and see if it is
this problem?  Otherwise, just update all you sytem folders to either of the
following combinations...

		{System 4.3 (or 4.2 depending on which
		{		country you're in - for those reading
System Tools 5	{		this out of curiosity)
		{
		{Finder 6.0
		{System 6.0.2 (not 6.0 or 6.01)
System Tools 6	{
		{Finder 6.1

George Stamatopoulos
Computer Systems Officer @ Lincoln School of Health Sciences
Melbourne Australia
Disclaimer : I'm just going on experience, and no, noone here understands thi
	     message, so how could they fire me!