[comp.sys.mac] MSWord footnote styles

aron@garnet.berkeley.edu (Aron Roberts) (11/22/88)

In article <934@taux01.UUCP> taux01!cyosta@nsc.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) writes:
>I recently created a [Microsoft Word 3.0x] document with footnotes and
>l[a]ter wanted to change the style in which the footnotes appear.  I [...]
>modified the style 'footnote-text' and 'footnote-reference'.
>The footnotes already entered DID NOT change their style, only new
>footnotes changed.

We coincidentally ran into a question on this subject today and
contacted Microsoft tech support, who confirmed that the appearance of
footnote text and footnote reference marks (the marks in the text
indicating the presence of footnotes--often but not necessarily taking
the form of small, superscripted numbers) cannot be altered
retroactively via the usual style sheet mechanism.  Unlike all other
Microsoft Word styles (whether predefined or defined by the user),
these two particular styles only govern the appearance of *newly created*
instances.  If one makes a change to the definitions of these styles,
*existing* instances of footnotes and footnote reference marks which
are already present in the document will not be affected in any way.
This behavior does not appear to be documented anywhere in the sections
on footnotes and styles in the Reference to Microsoft Word manual.

>Does anyone know [...] if this has been fixed in word 4.0?

No direct knowledge.  Anyone?

Aron Roberts  Workstation Support Services . Tolman Microcomputer Facility
              1535 Tolman Hall . Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720
              aron@garnet.Berkeley.EDU . !ucbvax!garnet!aron
              ARONR@UCBCMSA.BITNET . (415) 643-6241/642-2251