[comp.sys.mac] Bargain diskettes

spohrer-james@yale.UUCP (11/18/88)

From: James Spohrer <spohrer-james>

Excuse my arithmetic in the last message...

Of the 25 original diskettes, 12 formatted successfully at 800K,
and 13 failed.

Of the 13 that failed to format at 800K, 9 formatted OK at 400K,
and 4 failed.

These were Item Number: 148022 3.5" DS Bulk Disks 135-TPI.
Ordered from MEI/ Micro Center.

-Jim Spohrer
spohrer@cs.yale.edu
-------

spohrer-james@yale.UUCP (11/18/88)

From: James Spohrer <spohrer-james>

I order 25 diskettes from MEI/MICRO CENTER just to
see what I'd get. Here is what I found:

Of the original 25:
-------------------
11 Formatted OK for 800K
13 FAILED!!!!

Of the 13 failed:
-----------------
9 Formatted OK for 400K
4 FAILED!!!!!

I made it clear I wanted 800K disks, but I'll never order from them again.
I ordered Item Number: 148022 3.5" DS Bulk Disks 135-TPI.

For the 30 Day return privelege (replacement or money back), I notice
you must return the materials in the original packaging (whoops!!!).
I plan to have them replaced, just to see if I got a bad batch, but
I do not think I will do business with them in the future even if
the next batch is OK. I've heard rumors their quality is inconsistent.

- Jim Spohrer
spohrer@cs.yale.edu
-------

t-jacobs@wasatch.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (11/19/88)

I called these folks a while back when the flyer first came out and asked
them specifically who these disks were made by. They said they were under
contract to not reveal this information!!! I said fine, I'll never buy any
disk that I don't know who makes it and said goodbye.

Sorry if this information was already brought out, I haven't folloed the whole
discussion.

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/21/88)

>I called these folks a while back when the flyer first came out and asked
>them specifically who these disks were made by. They said they were under
>contract to not reveal this information!!! I said fine, I'll never buy any
>disk that I don't know who makes it and said goodbye.

This is unsurprising.  Nobody who sells generic *anything* can reveal
 the name of the manufacturer.  It's apparently a normal aspect of
 "generic supply" contracts.  Try asking Jewel who makes their
 "house brand" soda.  It's not them, but they won't say who.

If you do not want to buy those disks, fine.  Stick to name brands (which
 MEI has at very good discounts as well: Sony @14.55 + .30 P/H).  But
 their inability to reveal their supplier is hardly an indication of
 a company's customer relations or "crookedness".  They are not
 trying to bilk you; they simply cannot reveal their supplier's
 name.  They may be Sony, KAO, or Joe's Disks.  Who knows?

The name on a box of disks is very important.  Take a look at
 Verbatim and "Bonus".  Both apparently made by the same company, but
 Bonus is cheaper, because it doesn't have the Verbatim name.
 That's why generic suppliers will not allow the use of their name.
 Good will is a large chunk of a company like Sony's assets.

- Mark Thompson                  "The University Neither Knows Nor
  erstwhile T.A.                  Wants To Know What I Am Saying."
  University of Illinois at U-C

  ARPANET: thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
  USMAILNET: 202 E Springfield #3B, Champaign IL 61820

twm@genrad.UUCP (Tim W. Mattox) (11/22/88)

In article <46700088@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>I called these folks a while back when the flyer first came out and asked
>>them specifically who these disks were made by. They said they were under
>>contract to not reveal this information!!! I said fine, I'll never buy any
>>disk that I don't know who makes it and said goodbye.

>If you do not want to buy those disks, fine.  Stick to name brands (which
> MEI has at very good discounts as well: Sony @14.55 + .30 P/H).

if you want Sony's by the hundreds, I just saw a price quoted by
Direct Micro(1-800-288-2887) in MacUser for $1.39 each in quantities
of 100 or more labels included.  There is free shipping for orders of
$100.00 or more.  Kao's are $1.19 in lots of 100.  Not a bad deal!!

> their inability to reveal their supplier is hardly an indication of
> a company's customer relations or "crookedness".  They are not
> trying to bilk you; they simply cannot reveal their supplier's
> name.  They may be Sony, KAO, or Joe's Disks.  Who knows?

That's the whole point, who knows.  One batch may be bad, the next
good.  Use generic diskettes for data you don't mind losing or for giving
away programs.  But when it counts, I want to know who is making the
disk, because it matters.

> Mark Thompson                  "The University Neither Knows Nor

I have been using a batch of Kao's for a while and their reliability
seems pretty good.  Maybe they can move into Sony's class, without
Sony's price.

				-Tim