[comp.sys.mac] DiskTimer II results for verious disks wanted.

cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) (10/22/88)

I am trying to find out how fast my HD is compared to others.  Anyway, it is
about time for another disk speed survey.  Send the three numbers that
DiskTimer II provides to me and I will summerize to the net in a week or
two.  Send the following information:

Machine type(128,512,512e,+,SE,II,IIx specifying optional SCSI board,
             accelerator).
Disk brand name, size, any other relavent information.
System being used and relavent patches.

Thanks.

My network address is:   taux01!cyosta@nsc.UUCP

--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (10/23/88)

I suggest that if you want to get really good numbers, we should all use
SCSI Evaluator instead of DiskTimer II. It corrects many flaws in DiskTimer
II's methodology, and I am not aware of any problems with it.

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) (10/24/88)

From article <910@taux01.UUCP>, by cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman):
> I am trying to find out how fast my HD is compared to others.  Anyway, it is
> about time for another disk speed survey.  Send the three numbers that
> DiskTimer II provides to me and I will summerize to the net in a week or
> two.  Send the following information:

If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI disks Disktimer is NOT the way to
do it.  Disktimer is not a benchmark,  it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave and it's
results do not reflect real-world disk performance.  Supermac based their whole
marketing scheme around Disktimer,  saying their disks were faster because Disktimer
said so.

If you want to fairly evaluate SCSI disk performance use SCSI Evaluator.  It dosen't
play favorites and you can trust the data it comes up with, to a point.

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        uunet!eplrx7!lad                |       Engineering Physics Lab

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (10/27/88)

Where can I get "SCSI Evaluator"?

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5310.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(614)-292-4975.secy

cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) (10/30/88)

In article <945@ccnysci.UUCP> alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>I suggest that if you want to get really good numbers, we should all use
>SCSI Evaluator instead of DiskTimer II. It corrects many flaws in DiskTimer
>II's methodology, and I am not aware of any problems with it.
>
>----
I'm game.  Can you post it?  If it's not too big I would prefer that you
posted it directely to this group rather than to the comp.binaries.mac
group as it will arrive a few months earlier..  I will still collect the
DiskTimer II results and publish them.  If results from this new program
start flowing in within a week, I will delay for two extra weeks and publish
them all at once.

As a side note.  Please don't expect personal replies from me to your letters
as my mailer is VERY brain damaged.  It rarely reaches anyone (except, lucky
me, news).  If it's very important, mail it to RPR1YOS@TECHNION.BITNET and I
will try to answer from there (slower).
--

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (10/31/88)

In article <16@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:

>If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI disks Disktimer is NOT the way to
>do it.  Disktimer is not a benchmark,  it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave and it's
>results do not reflect real-world disk performance.  Supermac based their whole
>marketing scheme around Disktimer,  saying their disks were faster because Disktimer
>said so.
>
>--
>        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.

Could it be that DiskTimer favors 1:1 interleave disks because
they ARE faster?  Is this in dispute?

Ira Rampil
Department of Anesthesia
UCSF
#include null_disclaimer.h

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) (11/02/88)

From article <1449@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, by rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil):
> In article <16@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>>
>>If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI disks Disktimer is NOT the way to
>>do it.  Disktimer is not a benchmark,  it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave and it's
>>results do not reflect real-world disk performance.  Supermac based their whole
>>marketing scheme around Disktimer,  saying their disks were faster because Disktimer
>>said so.
>>
>>--
>>        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.
>
> Could it be that DiskTimer favors 1:1 interleave disks because
> they ARE faster?  Is this in dispute?

1:1 disks are faster only if the machine they're working on supports 1:1.  For
example,  Apple claims that a 3:1 interleave is optimal for a Mac Plus,  so a disk
formatted to 1:1 is going perform slower.  Disktimer's problem is that it totally
bypassed the driver and made calls directly to the low-level SCSI routines,  totally
ignoring the OS.  Any disk with a 1:1 interleave performed better in Disktimer no
matter what machine it was being run on.  There are several other reasons why
Disktimer should not be seriously considered when evaluating SCSI disk performance,
but they are very technical in nature.

Disktimer II:  Just say NO.

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/03/88)

In article <29@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>From article <1449@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, by rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil):
>> In article <16@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:

>>>If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI disks
>>>Disktimer is NOT the way to do it.  Disktimer is not a benchmark,
>>>it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave and it's results do not
>>>reflect real-world disk performance.  Supermac based their whole
>>>marketing scheme around Disktimer, saying their disks were faster
>>>because Disktimer said so.

>>>        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.

>> Could it be that DiskTimer favors 1:1 interleave disks because
>> they ARE faster?  Is this in dispute?

>1:1 disks are faster only if the machine they're working on supports
>1:1.  For example, Apple claims that a 3:1 interleave is optimal for
>a Mac Plus, so a disk formatted to 1:1 is going perform slower.
>Disktimer's problem is that it totally bypassed the driver and made
>calls directly to the low-level SCSI routines, totally ignoring the
>OS.  Any disk with a 1:1 interleave performed better in Disktimer no
>matter what machine it was being run on.  There are several other
>reasons why Disktimer should not be seriously considered when
>evaluating SCSI disk performance, but they are very technical in
>nature.

>Disktimer II:  Just say NO.

Time to stop the garbage, Larry.  DiskTimer *does not* bypass the
driver.  DiskTimer calls the disk's driver through the Device Manager.
That's what the Mac file system does, and that's why DiskTimer's
results have some bearing on the performance that a disk makes
available to the file system.  DiskTimer *agrees* with what Apple
*actually* claimed, which is that a Seagate ST225N on a MacPlus with
Apple's driver is optimally interleaved at 3:1.  If your disk or
driver or Mac is different, then Apple's advice is perfectly
irrelevant.

It's also untrue that making calls "directly to the low-level SCSI
routines" (which are part of the OS) gives you the best transfer rates
with 1:1 interleaving.  This is what the disk drivers do, after all,
and that's not the result they get!

I'm amazed that you continue to spout this nonsense.  Just within the
past month, there were a series of articles here (comp.sys.mac)
discussing how someone mistakenly formatted his disk at 1:1 instead of
2:1 and got dismal performance -- plainly shown by DiskTimer!

Try some tests yourself, Larry.  You'll find your foot's been in your
mouth for a long time.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (11/04/88)

In article <29@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>From article <1449@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, by rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil):
>> In article <16@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
|||	If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI
|||	disks Disktimer is NOT the way to do it.  Disktimer is
|||	not a benchmark,  it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave
|||	and it's results do not reflect real-world disk
|||	performance.  Supermac based their whole marketing
|||	scheme around Disktimer,  saying their disks were
|||	faster because Disktimer said so.

|||        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.

||	Could it be that DiskTimer favors 1:1 interleave disks because
||	they ARE faster?  Is this in dispute?

|	1:1 disks are faster only if the machine they're working on
|	supports 1:1.  For example,  Apple claims that a 3:1
|	interleave is optimal for a Mac Plus,  so a disk formatted
|	to 1:1 is going perform slower.  Disktimer's problem is that
|	it totally bypassed the driver and made calls directly to
|	the low-level SCSI routines,  totally ignoring the OS.  Any
|	disk with a 1:1 interleave performed better in Disktimer no
|	matter what machine it was being run on.  There are several
|	other reasons why Disktimer should not be seriously
|	considered when evaluating SCSI disk performance, but they
|	are very technical in nature.

If the disk controller that is used has implemented sufficient buffering to
store a track's worth of data as a sector cache, running a 1:1 interleave CAN
result in increased data transfer rate regardless of the Mac that the disk is
hung off of.  Only ONE rotation is required for the track, period.  The Mac
then takes the data from the controller's buffer at the max data rate.

As I recall, the OMTI 31xx controller (from SMS, their parent company) that
SuperMac used in their XP series had such buffering so that 1:1 would work
efficiently (read full-tilt) on ANY Mac without reformatting. THAT was their
marketing strategy.

Before making blanket statements like that above, please make sure that all
the facts are out on the table.  May I assume that you have detailed facts to
back up your claims?

Standard Disclaimer:  I have no financial interest in SuperMac, SMS, Micah,
Apple, or any other company associated with this discussion except as an
occasional customer.

I additionally have no particular opinion on DiskTimer IIa, or whatever,
except that I want the best information all on the table.
--
Rich Straka     att!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) (11/04/88)

From article <30248@think.UUCP>, by ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac):

> Time to stop the garbage, Larry.  DiskTimer *does not* bypass the
> driver.  DiskTimer calls the disk's driver through the Device Manager.
> That's what the Mac file system does, and that's why DiskTimer's
> results have some bearing on the performance that a disk makes
> available to the file system.  DiskTimer *agrees* with what Apple
> *actually* claimed, which is that a Seagate ST225N on a MacPlus with
> Apple's driver is optimally interleaved at 3:1.  If your disk or
> driver or Mac is different, then Apple's advice is perfectly
> irrelevant.

Nice try.  The previous statements completely contradict all that's ever been said
about Disktimer.  Disktimer NEVER used the Device Manager, and it NEVER used the File
Manager,  something ALL drivers have to do to talk to the disk.

> I'm amazed that you continue to spout this nonsense.

Why the personal attacks?  Nonsense is exactly what this is.

>Just within the
> past month, there were a series of articles here (comp.sys.mac)
> discussing how someone mistakenly formatted his disk at 1:1 instead of
> 2:1 and got dismal performance -- plainly shown by DiskTimer!

I read those articles but they have nothing to do with what we're talking about here.
I'm talking about real tests done by real people on real disks,  which,  by the way,
were formatted at 1:1, 2:1, and 3:1.  Disktimer consistantly favored disks formatted
1:1 no matter which machine they're run on.

What's nonsense is how you continue to praise Disktimer as a real performance
benchmark.

> Try some tests yourself, Larry.  You'll find your foot's been in your
> mouth for a long time.

Not so, Ehpraim.  I don't know what your problem is,  but Disktimer is bogus and many
people have known about it for a long time.  I *have* run tests,  and came to the same
conclusions that Jim Reeks and many others came to,  Disktimer has little or no
bearing on disk performance.

By the way,  you forget too easily that Reeks did extensive testing and even published
an article on Disktimer.  I'm going to track it down and post it to the net.  I
remember you flaming Reeks about that article,  using the same arguments you're using
now.  Those arguments were wrong then,  and they're wrong now.

Steve Brecher has even said many times before that Disktimer,   the program *he*
wrote, dosen't reflect real-world disk performance.  It's even in the program's
initial screen!!

You stop the garbage, Ephraim.  It's seems you have some vested interest in seeing
that Disktimer somehow succeeds.  I wish you luck.

--

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/05/88)

In article <29@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>From article <1449@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, by rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil):
>> In article <16@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:

>>>If you're looking to compare the performance of SCSI disks
>>>Disktimer is NOT the way to do it.  Disktimer is not a benchmark,
>>>it favors disks with a 1:1 interleave and it's results do not
>>>reflect real-world disk performance.  Supermac based their whole
>>>marketing scheme around Disktimer, saying their disks were faster
>>>because Disktimer said so.

>> Could it be that DiskTimer favors 1:1 interleave disks because
>> they ARE faster?  Is this in dispute?

>1:1 disks are faster only if the machine they're working on supports
>1:1.  For example, Apple claims that a 3:1 interleave is optimal for
>a Mac Plus, so a disk formatted to 1:1 is going perform slower.
>Disktimer's problem is that it totally bypassed the driver and made
>calls directly to the low-level SCSI routines, totally ignoring the
>OS.  Any disk with a 1:1 interleave performed better in Disktimer no
>matter what machine it was being run on.  There are several other
>reasons why Disktimer should not be seriously considered when
>evaluating SCSI disk performance, but they are very technical in
>nature.

>Disktimer II:  Just say NO.

>        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.

Larry has pointed out to me in private correspondence that my initial
response was inappropriately worded.  He's entirely correct in that
respect, and I apologize.  If ever I feel the need to insult Larry in
the future, I'll take care to do it privately.

That said, I'd like to correct some factual errors in Larry's posting
and explain my view of disk benchmarking.

DiskTimer II does not bypass the device driver.  It does not use the
SCSI manager traps or touch the SCSI hardware directly.  Instead, it
calls the device driver via the device manager.  (This should be
obvious from the fact that it works on non-SCSI devices.  If you have
any doubts, you can read the publicly available source code.)  Since
this what the file manager does, this is the basis for any resemblance
between DiskTimer's results and actual system performance.

Apple did not simply claim that a 3:1 interleave is optimal for a Mac
Plus.  They claimed that a 3:1 interleave is optimal for a Seagate
ST225N on a Mac Plus when the disk driver operates through the
Apple-supplied SCSI manager.  I've tested this claim using DiskTimer
and similar programs and they agree with Apple.

Provided that your disk driver uses the SCSI manager, Apple's advice
is applicable to a particular class of drives: MFM drives without
significant cache.  If you're not using the SCSI manager (and many
people don't) or if your drive is RLL, has a substantial cache or
FIFO, then Apple's advice simply doesn't apply.

Larry's claim about DiskTimer II using "low-level SCSI routines" fails
to make sense in another way.  The device drivers, after all, use the
low-level SCSI routines or manipulate the hardware directly.  If using
the low-level routines gives the fastest data transfer rates with 1:1
interleaving, why don't the device drivers get that result?

So far as I know, DiskTimer II's greatest failing is that it's
trivially deceived by caching, either in the disk controller or in the
device driver.  SuperMac's claims relied on the former case; FWB's
grossly misleading advertising depended on the latter case.  I'm sure
other companies made equally deceptive claims, but I didn't read all
the ads.  DiskTimer II repeatedly reads and writes the same 18K block.
Any cache over 18K immediately gains a 100% hit rate and a spuriously
good score.  Obviously, this isn't realistic.

Does SCSI Evaluator avoid this trap?  I don't know.  It does give you
the opportunity to compare performance through the device driver
against "raw" SCSI manager calls.  I expect (though I don't know) that
you'll find little advantage to the raw calls.  With some disks,
you'll find that the device driver has the advantage because it
bypasses the SCSI manager.

The greatest failing with all benchmarks is that it requires a great
deal of thought and knowledge to make sense of the results and apply
them to "the real world."  DiskTimer II boils everything down to three
numbers.  I personally feel that the data transfer rates are of only
modest importance of a fairly wide range.  That's what the programmer
can tweak, though, so that's where the hot competition is.

In many Mac operations, such as launching an application, much of the
time is spent seeking.  Seek time is entirely up to the drive
manufacturer.  A remarkable number of "different" Mac drives have the
same mechanisms inside, so there's little competition here.  (BTW,
DiskTimer II's seek test is also trivially defeated by caching.)

As other posters have pointed out, SCSI Evaluator gives the user a
great number of options and delivers a graph with numerous data
points.  If you're a developer tweaking your disk driver, or a user
benchmarking a variety of drives at once, this is fantastic.  If
you're trying to compare notes with strangers via usenet, it's very
nearly hopeless.

Claimers and disclaimers: I have sold disk driver software to several
companies, including Jasmine (San Francisco), Colby Systems (Fresno),
DataSpace (Markham, Ontario), and others that never went anywhere.
I'm out of that business now.  Larry Deleski is (was? what's the
latest, Larry?) a principal of IDT, which owns Micah.

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (11/07/88)

In article <31@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>Disktimer NEVER used the Device Manager, and it NEVER used the File
>Manager, something ALL drivers have to do to talk to the disk.

Read the source code.  DiskTimer uses Read and Write calls.  These are
executed by the Device Manager, which selects the appropriate driver
and calls it.

Also, read Inside Mac.  The File Manager uses the Device Manager uses
the device drivers which use the SCSI manager or hardware.  Claiming
that the device drivers call the File Manager only shows that you've
never read or written a device driver.

>>Just within the
>> past month, there were a series of articles here (comp.sys.mac)
>> discussing how someone mistakenly formatted his disk at 1:1 instead of
>> 2:1 and got dismal performance -- plainly shown by DiskTimer!

>I read those articles but they have nothing to do with what we're
>talking about here.  I'm talking about real tests done by real people
>on real disks, which, by the way, were formatted at 1:1, 2:1, and
>3:1.  Disktimer consistantly favored disks formatted 1:1 no matter
>which machine they're run on.

Could one of the people involved in that earlier discussion please
speak up?  Are you a real person?  Are you a zombie?  An android?  An
Alien Life Form?  Did you run the tests on real disks or on imaginary
ones?

>What's nonsense is how you continue to praise Disktimer as a real
>performance benchmark.

I didn't, Larry.  Calm yourself, and reread what I wrote.  There's no
praise of DiskTimer there, just criticism of your criticism.

>By the way, you forget too easily that Reeks did extensive testing
>and even published an article on Disktimer.  I'm going to track it
>down and post it to the net.  I remember you flaming Reeks about that
>article, using the same arguments you're using now.  Those arguments
>were wrong then, and they're wrong now.

Of course I remember Jim Reekes' bizarre tirade.  In it, he made such
amazing claims as "the Mac file system only does single-sector
transfers, so multi-sector transfers are irrelevant."

>Steve Brecher has even said many times before that Disktimer, the
>program *he* wrote, dosen't reflect real-world disk performance.
>It's even in the program's initial screen!!

I agree that DiskTimer's got problems.  But the only way we'll get a
better benchmark is through accurate, intelligent criticism.

>You stop the garbage, Ephraim.  It's seems you have some vested
>interest in seeing that Disktimer somehow succeeds.  I wish you luck.

DiskTimer has already "succeeded," unfortunately - it's the most
widely accepted benchmark of add-on storage for the Mac.  My interest
is in seeing that people understand its failings.  And as one of
Micah's owners you're perfectly disinterested, right?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (11/08/88)

Yea, Dont totally believe DiskTimer. It told me that it took 22 seconds for
my drive to read the test packets 22 SECONDS!!!!
The other figures were reasonable but the above psycho result has happened
many times and I just ignore it.
Sure, I have a 140MB HD, but it  just doesnt take that long to write stuff

Mike Darweesh
Carnegie Mellon University

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (11/08/88)

Sorry about the screwed up post right before this one.
I meant (in every case stated) to say write to my hard drive not
read. My read times were .5 times the sample data results.

-Mike Darweesh
-Carnegie Mellon University
-md32+@andrew.cmu.edu

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) (11/08/88)

From article <30582@think.UUCP>, by ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac):

Lots of 'bizzare' things...

Ephraim,  it's obvious that you beleive that you're right and everyone else
is wrong.

And for the record,  I haven't owned any interest in Micah since Jan 27,
1988.  It's a matter of public record.  Call the State of Delaware Division
of Corporations at (302) 736-3133.

And finally,  if you don't know the facts,  check them out before you make
statements like that.

/lad

--
        Lawrence A. Deleski             |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        uunet!eplrx7!lad                |       Engineering Physics Lab
        Cash-We-Serve 76127,104         |       Wilmington, Delaware 19880-0357
        MABELL:  (302) 695-9353         |       Mail Stop: E357-302

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (11/09/88)

Hey, guys...  Nuff said, okay??  We get the idea...

How bout letting the whole thing drop and don't let it get your blood pressure
up.  You'll live longer and enjoy it more...

:-)

Ray

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Ray Terry                            Hewlett Packard Company
GEnie : R.Terry                      MacNET: Ray
Packet: N6PHJ @ N6IIU                UUCP  : sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
Domain: rterry%hpda@hplabs.hp.com    SysOp : MacScience BBS (408) 247-8307
IPaddr: 44.4.0.214  N6PHJ.norcal.ampr
                 Standard disclaimers, etc. apply...
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/09/88)

In article <32@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
>From article <30582@think.UUCP>, by ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac):
>
>Lots of 'bizzare' things...

	A quote calling someone else's post 'bizarre' without ANY rebuttal
tends to not cut any ice with me. What makes it bizarre, beyond the fact
that you can't seem to formulate a coherent response to it?

>And finally,  if you don't know the facts,  check them out before you make
>statements like that.

	This is advice that you  would be well-advised to take.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (11/23/88)

Note that many disks ignore interleave.  For instance, Quantum ProDrive
disks are always 1:1.  I think CDC Wren IVs might be that way too, but
the manual does not seem to be within sight at the moment ( I gotta
clean out this office :-) ).

					Tim Smith