[comp.sys.mac] Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 Ships!

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/16/88)

The following is excerpted from the press release announcing the shipment
of THINK's Lightspeed Pascal and Just Enough Pascal. the official
announcement was made yesterday (Monday, November 14) at COMDEX, in
Las Vegas.

	"Symantec Corporation today announced THINK's Lightspeed Pasca(tm)
version 2.0 and Just Enough Pascal(tm) are shipping this week.

	For a limited time, beginning this week, Symantec will bundle a copy
of Just Enough Pascal in specially marked boxes of THINK's Lightspeed Pascal.
the suggested list price of the bundle is $149, and the promotion will
continue until January 31, 1989.

	Just Enough Pascal is the first tutorial of its kind, taking an inter-
active approach to teching the fundamentals of Pascal programming on the
Macintosh. Users learn by building a real Macintosh game application in
THINK's Lightspeed Pascal, with all instructions and explanations
provided on-line. Asthe user builds the program through various stages, he
sees the results of each code change graphically illustrated on the screen.

	New version 2.0 of THINK's Lightspeed Pascal now generates the fastest,
most compact code of any Pascal compiler available for the Macintosh. It
provides options to generate code for the 68020 and for the 68881 math
coprocessor, and features full access to all of the Macintosh ROM routines.

	New and enhanced features of version 2.0 include: a fast, multipass
optimizing compiler which produces compact, commercial-quality code; Object
Pascal support; increased editor flexibility for virtually unlimited program
size; and enhanced source-level debugger; and language extensions for
improved compatibility with Apple's Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW)
Pascal.

	Special introductory list pricing for THINK's Lightspeed Pascal version
2.0 is $125. The price will increast to $149, effective February 1, 1989.
Just Enough Pascal's suggested list price is $75.

	Registered owners may upgrade to THINK's Lightspeed Pascal version 2.0
for $52.50 ($49 plus $3.50 shipping and handling; CA residents must add
7% sales tax, for a total of $55.93}. To upgrade, users must send a letter,
including payment (US checks only)  and registration number to:

			Symantec Corporation
			Customer Service Department
			10201 Torre Avenue
			Cupertino, CA 95014
			ATTN: THINK's Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 Upgrade

	Purchasers of version 1.11 or earlier who bought the product after
July 1, 1988 are entitled to a free upgrade. A dated proof of purchase
must accompany the upgrade request. Further upgrade information is
available from Symantec's Customer Service Department at (408) 252-3570.

	Symantec will also extend the special $175 introductory pricing of
THINK's LightspeedC version 3.0 through January 31, 1989. Effective
February 1, 1989 the price will increase to $249."

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/16/88)

In article <594@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:

>	"Symantec Corporation today announced THINK's Lightspeed Pasca(tm)
>version 2.0 and Just Enough Pascal(tm) are shipping this week.

[lots of price details, some description of features,
 only surprize is that the eventual post-hype price
 will be significantly higher than it has been]

>Rich Siegel
>Staff Software Developer
>THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.

>Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
>or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

Rich!  How could you do it?  You left out crucial information: When
will those of us who already sent in our upgrade money _get_ our
copies?  Can I expect it on my door step Monday or Tuesday, or will it
be a while before MINE ships?

I want my, I want my, I want my LSP!

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Tim Binder) (11/17/88)

Will Just Enough Pascal be shipped with the upgrades to LS Pascal? If not,
it might be worthwhile to just mail order 2.0.

Tim
       __
      /\ \       Timothy M. Binder                | "He's dead honey
     /  \ \      binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu      |  'cause Mommy
    / /\ \ \     CI$ 71106,1124 [but VERY rarely] |  killed him."
   / / /\ \ \                                     |
  / / /__\_\ \   known in the SCA as              |
 / / /________\    Gwydion Rhys ap Rhianwen       |
 \/___________/

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/17/88)

In article <6210@netnews.upenn.edu> binder@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Tim Binder) writes:
>Will Just Enough Pascal be shipped with the upgrades to LS Pascal? If not,

	No.

In article <261@lloyd.camex.uucp> kent@lloyd.UUCP (Kent Borg) writes:
>Rich!  How could you do it?  You left out crucial information: When
>will those of us who already sent in our upgrade money _get_ our
>copies?  Can I expect it on my door step Monday or Tuesday, or will it
>be a while before MINE ships?

	I tend to not talk about things that I don't know anything about, and
that I don't care to predict. However: the first upgrade copies of Pascal 2.0
rolled off the assembly lines yesterday and ar e being shipped today, and all
backlogged upgrade orders should be filled fairly soon.

	As to when YOUR copy will arrive, I haven't a clue.

		--Rich

bill@ut-emx.UUCP (Bill Jefferys) (11/18/88)

In article <601@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
#
#	I tend to not talk about things that I don't know anything about, and
#that I don't care to predict. However: the first upgrade copies of Pascal 2.0
#rolled off the assembly lines yesterday and ar e being shipped today, and all
#backlogged upgrade orders should be filled fairly soon.
#
#	As to when YOUR copy will arrive, I haven't a clue.
#

What about those of us that bought it recently and sent in our
registration cards? Will we get it automatically? (I have never
heard back from Symantek that they got the card).

Bill Jefferys

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/18/88)

In article <7947@ut-emx.UUCP> bill@emx.UUCP (Bill Jefferys) writes:

>What about those of us that bought it recently and sent in our
>registration cards? Will we get it automatically? (I have never
>heard back from Symantek that they got the card).

	You need to write a letter,  and enclose a dated proof of purchase,
and address it to the Customer Service department:

hoyme@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Ken Hoyme) (11/19/88)

>>What about those of us that bought it recently and sent in our
>>registration cards? Will we get it automatically? (I have never
>>heard back from Symantek that they got the card).
>>
>	You need to write a letter,  and enclose a dated proof of purchase,
>and address it to the Customer Service department:
>
>Rich Siegel
>Staff Software Developer
>THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.

Sorry to be picky but, do you need the original proof of purchase or can
we send in a copy?  I hate to send off my original since it could get lost.

--
Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
voice:  (612)782-7354        paper:  3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418

--
Ken Hoyme                    Honeywell Systems and Research Center
voice:  (612)782-7354        paper:  3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
Internet: hoyme@src.honeywell.com

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com (11/19/88)

Will those of us who purchased LSP recently (getting 1.1 when we
thought we were getting 2.0) also get Just Enough Pascal?

mike_g_newman@cup.portal.com

larson@unix.SRI.COM (Alan Larson) (11/19/88)

Does the new Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 still have the problem with dealing
with the most negative integer as a data value?  Does it have real
packing of data when it is byte size (such as char, or small valued),
or is it still in words?  Does it add an 'unsigned' data type modifier
(non-standard, but useful).

Most important of all, how much of a Mac does it take to run it?  Can
it run on a 512K machine?  Can it run on a 1 Mb machine (without using
multifinder)?  LSC 3.0 was terribly disappointing to those of us with
1 Meg machines.  How much slower is it than 1.11?

	Alan

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/21/88)

In article <12174@srcsip.UUCP> hoyme@coltrane.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Ken Hoyme) writes:

>Sorry to be picky but, do you need the original proof of purchase or can
>we send in a copy?  I hate to send off my original since it could get lost.

	By all means, send in a copy. I should have been clearer about that...

:-)

In article <24515@sri-unix.SRI.COM> larson@unix.sri.com (Alan Larson) writes:

>Does the new Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 still have the problem with dealing
>with the most negative integer as a data value?

	What "problem" is that?

>Does it have real packing of data when it is byte size
	No, but a future 2.x update probably will.

>Does it add an 'unsigned' data type modifier

	No.

>Most important of all, how much of a Mac does it take to run it?
	The minimum configuration is one MB, two 800K floppy drives.

>How much slower is it than 1.11?

	Why does it have to be slower? As it happens, the editor is faster,
the code generated is considerably faster (sorry, no quantitative
measurement, but I think the Sieve is about twice is fast), and the compiler,
which does two passes now instead of one pass, is about 10% faster.

In article <11489@cup.portal.com> Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:
>Will those of us who purchased LSP recently (getting 1.1 when we
>thought we were getting 2.0) also get Just Enough Pascal?

	As part of the upgrade order form, there is a coupon for getting
Just Enough Pascal for $40 (about half of the list price).

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (11/21/88)

>>Does it add an 'unsigned' data type modifier
>
>       No.

Aaw, please give us 'word' types (unsigned 2-byte integers).  I use them all
he time on Turbo Pascal for the IBM, and I really feel the y add something to a
language.

"sigline" 11 lines, 781 characters

In article <622@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <24515@sri-unix.SRI.COM> larson@unix.sri.com (Alan Larson) writes:

>>Does it add an 'unsigned' data type modifier
>
>       No.

Aaw, please give us 'word' types (unsigned 2-byte integers).  I use them all
the time on Turbo Pascal for the IBM, and I really feel they add something to a
language.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

alexis@ccnysci.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (11/23/88)

Yes, it certainly has shipped. Got our copy a few days ago. I'll get a chance
to play with it over the weekend (ha!) or next week, but so far it looks very
nice. (I still think the SUM business is an example of total irresponsibility,
but give credit where credit is due...)  I'm impressed that they do seem to be
taking care of their old customers first- no dealer here in NYC has it yet, I
believe.

One thing I haven't gotten to yet is checking whether the header files have
the stuff in the most recent Tech Notes (>210) for Sys 6.0.2. Anyone know?

----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis@dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis@ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/