[comp.sys.mac] Spy and LSC3.0

irwin@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/23/88)

  I believe that I have discovered an incompatability between
LightSpeed C and the Spy init that was posted a few days ago.
Spy seems to work fine except when I use monochrome mode and then
launch LSC.  The small multiFinder icon for LSC is misplaced,
Finder window regions are incorrect, the desktop is somewhat
confused.  Remove Spy and LSC works fine. Don't run LSC and Spy
seems to work fine.  An unfortunate circumstance considering the
intended use of Spy.

Additional info:  Mac II 5 Meg, Apple Color monitor, system
6.0.2, Multifinder, many inits but none too strange.

Ed, You may want to use some of that space in the cdev to hold
an address at which we can reach you directly, if possible.

					Rich Irwin
					Center for Composite Materials
					University of Delaware
					Newark, DE
					irwin@oscar.ccm.udel.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/23/88)

In article <5621@louie.udel.EDU> irwin@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>Spy seems to work fine except when I use monochrome mode and then
>launch LSC.  The small multiFinder icon for LSC is misplaced,
>Finder window regions are incorrect, the desktop is somewhat
>confused.  Remove Spy and LSC works fine. Don't run LSC and Spy
>seems to work fine.  An unfortunate circumstance considering the
>intended use of Spy.

	This would seem to point the finger at Spy, since LightspeedC
has nothing to do with the Finder desktop. I have also noticed that Spy
does funny and un-beautiful things when running on a Mac Plus equipped
with a Radius FPD.

	I would suspect that Spy hooks DrawMenuBar() when necessary to
refresh its display, and doesn't restore the Quickdraw pen state when it's
done with its drawing; this would account for lots of things,  such as the
MultiFinder icon and the "corners" of the menu bar being misplaced.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.