[comp.sys.mac] Microtech drives

hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) (11/24/88)

In article <45@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (lad) writes:
> From article <275malquistp@byuvax.bitnet>, by malquistp@byuvax.bitnet:
>> Microtech?  Their ads indicate they're a very fast drive (19 ms access time)
>> and the price seems very good, especially with a 5 year warranty.
>
> MicroTech drives are not sold with a 5 year warranty.  It's an option they
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> charge extra for.  Try finding that information in one of their ads.
>
>   /lad

Not true. I just purchased one of their 40 MB internal drives for the Mac II for
$599 (plus $2 for insurance for a grand total of $601), which was the
cheapest price I could find for a 40 MB drive with the Quantum mechanism.
And it *did* include the five year warranty.  It came pre-formatted (1:1 interleave)
with the latest system software (6.0.2).  It included all of the necessary
installation hardware, a single disk containing the Microtech formatting
software (which is initially unnecessary, and is already on the hard disk), and only
took me about 10 minutes to install (having done it once, I could do it again
in about 2 minutes).  They deliver by UPS ground, and it took 3 days to get
to me in Austin, Texas.  I have had the drive for approximately 2 weeks, and
could *not* be happier (unless they had, perhaps, given it away :-) )  I would
heartily recommend this drive.

I have no connection with Microtech except as a *very* satisfied customer.

By the by, has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Microtech's SIMMs?
They have high profile, 120nS 1 MB SIMMs for $295 which carry a 1 year warranty.
(Their low profile SIMMs for the SE are $325(?))

John Hardin, MCC CAD Program | ARPA: hardin@mcc.com | Phone: [512] 338-3535
Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720 | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!hardin

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (11/24/88)

In article <595@cadillac.CAD.MCC.COM> hardin@dino.cad.mcc.com (John Hardin) writes:
>By the by, has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with Microtech's SIMMs?
>They have high profile, 120nS 1 MB SIMMs for $295 which carry a 1 year warranty.
>(Their low profile SIMMs for the SE are $325(?))

We bought some 2 meg of low profile SIMMs and 2 meg of high profile
from Microtech at MacWorld Expo in Boston.  They work fine.  On our
recommendation, a friend ordered a couple of meg of low profile SIMMs
only to find that they delivered high profile SIMMs.  The mistake was
quickly corrected.

hh