[comp.sys.mac] File Protection bit

pk-tle@sics.se (Tommy Levitte) (11/17/88)

If you use ResEdit on a file and Get Info, you can set and reset a lot of
things. Unfortunately, there are some buttons you CAN'T reset, like the one
marked "File Protected".
Now, when "File Protected" is on, you can do anything with the file in question
but read it. You can't even move it around on your disk! It's stuck in the map
where you have!

Help anyone...

Tommy Levitte (pk-tle@draken.nada.kth.se or gizmo@kicki.stacken.kth.se)
Tommy Levitte (pk-tle@draken.nada.kth.se or gizmo@kicki.stacken.kth.se)

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (11/19/88)

In article <PK-TLE.88Nov17125259@khons.sics.se> pk-tle@sics.se (Tommy Levitte) writes:

>If you use ResEdit on a file and Get Info, you can set and reset a lot of
>things. Unfortunately, there are some buttons you CAN'T reset, like the one
>marked "File Protected".

MacTools, part of the Copy II Mac package will set and reset this bit.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (11/19/88)

In article <PK-TLE.88Nov17125259@khons.sics.se> pk-tle@sics.se (Tommy Levitte) writes:

>If you use ResEdit on a file and Get Info, you can set and reset a lot of
>things. Unfortunately, there are some buttons you CAN'T reset, like the one
>marked "File Protected".
>Now, when "File Protected" is on, you can't do anything with the file in
>question but read it.

I know whereof you speak.  The only application I've seen that can alter the
"protect" bit fo a file is "MacTools" by Central Point Software.  It comes
free with the Copy II Mac package.  We use the program in the Personal
Computing Center here at Dartmouth to make sure that people don't leech
expensive applications off of our student workstations.

DISCLAIMER: I am the president of Central Point Software (just kidding!!

   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
  Hanover, NH 03755

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (11/21/88)

In article <11010@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) writes:
>I know whereof you speak.  The only application I've seen that can alter the
>"protect" bit fo a file is "MacTools" by Central Point Software.  It comes
>free with the Copy II Mac package.  We use the program in the Personal
>Computing Center here at Dartmouth to make sure that people don't leech
>expensive applications off of our student workstations.

Bruce Tomlin's wonderful shareware DA "DeskZap" will also do this.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (11/23/88)

In article <PK-TLE.88Nov17125259@khons.sics.se> pk-tle@sics.se (Tommy Levitte) writes:

>If you use ResEdit on a file and Get Info, you can set and reset a lot of
>things. Unfortunately, there are some buttons you CAN'T reset, like the one
>marked "File Protected".

There are many disk utilities, including MacTools and FEdit+ which allow
you to change that bit. I don't know exactly how this "bit" is set,
but I suspect it to be more than just a single bit at a single place.
Inside Mac is not too clear about that, though.

-- Danny

| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) (11/25/88)

Does anyone know of a utility to set/reset the protect bit for the volume?
I would like to lock my hard disk (get info in finder of hard disk icon)
and then set the protect bit so that the locked bit can't be turned off!

Thanks.  Yossie

--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (11/26/88)

In article <PK-TLE.88Nov17125259@khons.sics.se> <683@ethz.UUCP>, cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) writes:
     | Does anyone know of a utility to set/reset the protect bit
     | for the volume? I would like to lock my hard disk (get
     | info in finder of hard disk icon) and then set the protect
     | bit so that the locked bit can't be turned off!

I have a CDEV/INIT called MacPassword, written by Art Schumer (of MacSnoop
fame).  I'll post this to comp.binaries.mac after the holiday break.

This will acomplish what you want, by controling access to your HD with a
password.

For those of you that have not seen it before, MacPassword has a cdev
interface for configuration control, and when booting, you are requested
to enter a password to gain full access to any protected volumes.

There is also a guest feature to enable you to make certain folders
visible and leave others protected.

One of the new features is a "Protect Now" button, the function of which
seems fairly self explainatory (to protect the system while away from your
desk).

     | Thanks.  Yossie

Stu.

stuartb@microsof.beaver.cs.washington.edu
stuartb%microsof@uw-beaver.arpa
stuartb@microsof.uucp
Usual disclaimer, that all the above is pure fantasy and Microsoft only
gave me the Mountain Dew to dream it all in a caffeine haze  :-{)  :-{)