[comp.sys.mac] Modula 2

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (11/19/88)

Has anyone out there seen a Modula 2 compiler/interpreter/anything for the Mac???
I am really interested in finding one, but have not seen any as of yet in my
life.

Mike Darweesh
md32@andrew.cmu.edu

jspear@afit-ab.arpa (Jon L. Spear) (11/19/88)

In article <oXV6kYy00Ws1M3F1Bz@andrew.cmu.edu> md32+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Michael Joseph Darweesh) writes:
>Has anyone out there seen a Modula 2 compiler/interpreter/anything for the Mac???
>I am really interested in finding one, but have not seen any as of yet in my
>life.

There hasn't been much discussion on Modula for the Mac. I wonder why...

There are at least two Modula-2 compilers for the Mac: MacMETH and TML.

MacMETH is written by Wirth and friends in Zurich. I've got version 2.0 (2.4
is current but documentation is unchanged), but I've only played with it a
little. Documentation is sparse (68 pages photocopied) but tells you enough
to get it going. Includes a 1-pass compiler, linker, and a "debugger".
	The compiler is invoked from a mini-shell program that lets you move
between Edit, Compile, Execute, and Debug. The editor is a very basic
teachtext-like editor that does auto-indenting. When you compile, it stops
on the first error. You can then go back to the editor and it will point to
the offending line and lookup an error message. The resulting program can be
run directly (no link step). If there is a run-time error, you can enter the
"debugger". The "debugger" is really just a symbolic stack analyzer - it can
move up the stack, display the variables in a stack frame, their values, and
even the source code of the lines that were executing, but you can't edit
the source, change the value of variables, or continue execution.
	This might sound similar to one of the LightSpeed compilers, but
MacMETH is decidedly much more clumsy, much less Mac-like (it was patterned
after Wirth's Lilith), is very modal, and requires many keyboard commands.
There is an external linker that can be used to create stand-alone
applications.  Some toolbox support is included, but my ancient version has
some problems that I presume have been fixed and extended in later versions.
	One thing that is very clumsy is that there is no "make"-like
facility or automated way to determine compilation order. You must manually
compile module specifications in the proper order, and if you make a mistake
or modify a specification, you may need to recompile nearly everything.
	I've heard the next version will have an improved user interface.
No comments on code speed, size, or quality but it seems adequate.

MacMETH is distributed in the US by Modula Corporation, 950 N. University
Ave., Provo Utah 84604, (801)224-8999.

I don't know anything about TML's Modula-2 except that it is an MPW tool.
I presume it is still available from TML Systems, 8837-B Goodbys Executive
Drive, Jacksonville, Florida 32217, (904)636-8592.
--
----
random rumors from Jon Spear, comp eng student | With computers we can make a

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (11/20/88)

Have a look at MetCom Modula-2. Metropolis, the developers, are at
(514) 866-4776.

Stephan

<--------------------------------------------------------------->
Stephan Somogyi
Software Engineer
MacUser Labs
950 Tower Lane, 18th Floor
Foster City, CA 94404

...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

BIX: mulabs                       CIS: 72511,16
MacNET: MULABS                    FAX: (415) 378-5675

The opinions expressed may or may not represent those of my employer

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (11/21/88)

There are a number of Modula-2 compilers/systems for the Mac.

SemperSoft Modula-2 (Semper Software, Glen Ellyn IL) -- runs under MPW and the
one that I use most.  Completely up-to-date.  Includes a makefile generator,
pretty printer, and has an import list generator.

TML Modula-2 (TML Systems, Jacksonville FL -- written by Bob Campbell) -- also
runs under MPW.  Pretty much on a par with SemperSoft -- the choice to go with
one rather than the other is pretty much based upon personal idiosyncracies.
I am told that volume V support is available, but I haven't received my
update to verify that.

MacMeth (Modula Corp., Provo UT) -- fast, standalone, not really well supported.
I haven't yet heard of an upgrade for volume V compatibility.

TDI Modula-2 (TDI, Dallas TX) -- a buggy port of their Amiga/Atari compiler to
the Mac.  The editor is terrible and the compiler crashes a lot.  Also, still
not completely HFS-compatible.  Barely supports volume IV of IM.

MetCom Modula-2 (Metropolitan Comp. Sys., Montreal PQ) -- new, integrated with
a source debugger.  Looks good so far, especially for educational environments.
Currently can only make applications -- DAs, FKEYs, XCMDs, etc supposed to be
available with next (1.1) release.  Completely up-to-date.

MacLogimoPlus (Shareware, Tim Myers, somewhere in UT) -- based upon the ETHZ
compiler.  The interface isn't much, but for $18.50 it's a good deal.  I don't
know whether the libraries and interfaces have been brought up to date with
volume V of IM.

--------

As you can see, there are a number of choices.  If you want a compiler that
does a good job and is relatively bug-free (nothing is ever completely bug-
free), I would recommend Semper, TML, or Metcom.  TML's support for the M2
compiler has been pretty weak as I believe that they are going to return the
rights to the author.  Since they are MPW compilers, both TML and Semper will
require at least a Plus with a hard disk.  Metcom will run reasonably well on
a Plus with two 800K drives.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (11/22/88)

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
Tools & Languages Product Management
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-973-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (11/22/88)

There are two Modula-2 development systems I came across:

	MacMETH by Wirth, Gutknecht and others, write to
	ETH Zurich
	Clausiusstr. 55
	CH-8092 Zurich
	Switzerland

	TML-Modula/2, which needs the MPW shell to run. I didn't find
	an address for this one.

(Edgar Knapp)

gollman@tuvie (Georg Gollman) (11/22/88)

I'm using MacMETH and am quite satisfied with it. It can be obtained directly
from the ETH Zurich. The nice thing about MacMETH is that it runs quite
reasonably even on a 512K Mac.

My question about the MPW based Modula systems: does the linker
handle version checking ???

Georg Gollmann                                  e-mail: gollman@tuvie.uucp
TU Wien, EDVZ                                   tel:    (222) 58801/3611

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (11/27/88)

I think you should have a look at P1-Modula2. It runs under MPW,
is object-oriented (MacApp? yes, of course) and has a very nice set
of libraries. The manual is not extremely extensive (120 pages),
but I found everything I needed to know. User Support is very
good, too. A colleague of mine found a minor bug in the compiler
and called up P1. Three days later, we received the update.
A nice feature is conditional compilation, especially for debugging.
THe package comes with 4 tools: a post-mortem debugger (very much
like the MacMETH pmd, with an additional 680x0 disassembly window),
a global crossreferencer, a Makefile generator and a symbol file
dumper.

I love it.

-- Danny

| Mail    :  Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support                   |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet  :  macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Internet:  macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

DISCLAIMER: I don't know anyone at P1. But here's their address anyway:

P1 Gesellschaft fuer Informatik mbH
Gotthardstr. 99
D-8000 Muenchen 21

089/580-60-99