[comp.sys.mac] Imagewriter II -and- Programming

zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) (11/18/88)

Hello everybody.  A whileback, I caught the tail end of a discussion
about Imagewriter II or LQ problems.  Here are mine:

1) My imagewriter occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.

2) Occasionally, when I send output to my Imagewriter, the darn thing
   just starts spitting out reams of hex code in neat little columns.

Can anyone help me or point to a fix for these annoying MacBugs?

-ALSO-

I used to program a lot, in BASIC (shudder) and finally in assembler and
machine code for my Apple II+.  When I began using macs, I stopped
programming, as I had no idea how to go about it.  I find myself very
much wanting to learn how to program the Macintosh, but I *still* have
no idea how to go about it.  I know a little bit of C (not much) and
nothing else.  My question is:  What language should I learn (if any)
and do I NEED the APDA kit or whatever?  How does all this work? I would
prefer to keep learning C to starting something else, but if I had to,
well...

Thanks to any and all who reply (and, indeed, those who took the time to
read this!)\
				-JBZimmerman!

--
___________           |  "A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut
  ===                 |  <zimerman@PUCC>                  BITnet

zeke@eta.unix.ETA.COM (Robert K. Scott) (11/19/88)

In article <4484@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:

> 1) My imagewriter occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
>    about 1 pin shorter than they should be.
>
> 2) Occasionally, when I send output to my Imagewriter, the darn thing
>    just starts spitting out reams of hex code in neat little columns.
>
> Can anyone help me or point to a fix for these annoying MacBugs?

I don't know about the first problem, since I have never had it happen.
The second is caused by accidentally bumping or holding down the online/offline
switch just below the power switch.  When this switch is held down while
powering on, the Imagewriter will print the byte stream that the Mac is
sending it, instead of translating it to internal hardware commands.  To
cure this problem, just power off and back on, and don't touch the
selection switch.

> I used to program a lot, in BASIC (shudder) and finally in assembler and
> machine code for my Apple II+.  When I began using macs, I stopped
> programming, as I had no idea how to go about it.  I find myself very
> much wanting to learn how to program the Macintosh, but I *still* have
> no idea how to go about it.  I know a little bit of C (not much) and
> nothing else.  My question is:  What language should I learn (if any)
> and do I NEED the APDA kit or whatever?  How does all this work? I would
> prefer to keep learning C to starting something else, but if I had to,
> well...

Both Lightspeed Pascal and C are superb programming packages for the Mac.
Lightspeed Pascal is less expensive, and programming in Pascal has the
advantage of being able to have system call examples listed in the Apple
Inside Macintosh manuals.  The ROM interface to the outside world is
addressed most easily in Pascal, although other languages have provided
a healthy supply of "bridge" library routines.  The source code debugger
for LSP is also quite good, and it will run in a Mac Plus, whereas the
new source code debugger for Lightspeed C requires 2 Meg of memory and
Multifinder.

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% From the Final Frontier %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
These are my opinions, of course.  Why the hell would my company want them?

Robert K. "Zeke" Scott        internet: zeke@sunfun.eta.com
voice: (612) 642-3493         uucp: {amdahl,rutgers}!bungia!eta!sunfun!zeke
snail: ETA Systems, Inc. ETC03J, 1450 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN  55108

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (11/19/88)

In article <4484@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:

>1) My imagewriter II occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
>   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.

Mine does this on occasion too, but only on the first line of a print
job.  Unfortunately, that line is usually where my name goes (in a
letterhead, or on a term paper)!

>2) Occasionally, when I send output to my Imagewriter II, the darn thing
>   just starts spitting out reams of hex code in neat little columns.

This I can help with.  Apple built in this feature for service technicians:
if you turn on the Imagewriter II WHILE holding down the "select" button, all
the text that goes to the printer will be printed in hex code.  Unfortunately
for the end-user, the select button is so close to the on/off switch that
it's incredibly easy to trigger this hidden feature without knowing it.

Hope this helps.

   DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are mine!  All MINE!!! *heh*
  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 640-4753
  Hanover, NH 03755

Pokey@cup.portal.com (Jeff R Gitchel) (11/19/88)

>11/17/88 16:31 zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
>(Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman):

>... A whileback, I caught the tail end of a discussion
>about Imagewriter II or LQ problems.  Here are mine:
>
>1) My imagewriter occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
>   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.

Check to see if your paper is catching on the bail assembly.
(The bar over the printhead.)
Sometimes it becomes rough and the fold rubs just enough to slow
the paper down. Also check the rest of the paper path for rubbing
on cables, the backplane, ect. And see if you can back off on the
impression lever a click or two. The idea is to remove as much
pressure on the paper as possible.

>2) Occasionally, when I send output to my Imagewriter, the darn thing
>   just starts spitting out reams of hex code in neat little columns.

Rumour has it that this is caused by accidently bumping the
select switch when turning on the printer.

>I used to program a lot, in BASIC (shudder) and finally in assembler
>and machine code for my Apple II+.  When I began using macs, I
>stopped programming, as I had no idea how to go about it.  I find myself
>wanting to learn how to program the Macintosh, but I *still* have
>no idea how to go about it.  I know a little bit of C (not much) and
>nothing else.  My question is:  What language should I learn (if any)
>and do I NEED the APDA kit or whatever?  How does all this work? I
>would prefer to keep learning C to starting something else, but if I h
>to, well...

I, also, gave up BASIC when I moved to the Mac. There just didn't
seem to be any point to it. How could I duplicate the windows,
menus, buttons, icons, and other graphics?

HyperCard lets me reproduce all that and more. I've made $500
selling custom stacks in the past two months. Try it. You'll like it.

Jeff Gitchel

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (11/23/88)

In article <11009@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) writes:
>In article <4484@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>
>>1) My imagewriter II occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
>>   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.
>
>Mine does this on occasion too, but only on the first line of a print
>job.  Unfortunately, that line is usually where my name goes (in a
>letterhead, or on a term paper)!

The "squashed" line of text occurs when the top of the page (either a cut
edge or a perforation) encounters the pinch-rollers on the bail, causing
the paper to buckle just a bit.

The only cure I am aware of is to use the sheet-feeder accessory, or hand-
fed cut sheets.  The reason this works is that with cut sheets you clamp the
paper to the platen (when you throw the large lever at the right end of the
platen), and this gives the paper less room to buckle.

Personally I recommend the sheet feeder if you don't mind paying for it.
It gives all-around better paper handling than pin-feed.  Yes, I do work
for Apple...

David Casseres

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (11/25/88)

" >In article <4484@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
" >
" >>1) My imagewriter II occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
" >>   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.

One thing i've found that helps is to start printing on the second page
of paper, i.e. to eject a wasted page before printing.  Apparently the
extra weight hanging out there makes the paper move better.

--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu

armstrng@dalcs.UUCP (Stan Armstrong) (11/27/88)

In article <1095@hydra.riacs.edu> julian@hydra.riacs.edu.UUCP (Julian E Gomez) writes:
>" >In article <4484@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zimerman@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Jacob Ben-david Zimmerman) writes:
>" >
>" >>1) My imagewriter II occasionally prints lines of text 'squashed', i.e.
>" >>   about 1 pin shorter than they should be.
>
>One thing i've found that helps is to start printing on the second page
>of paper, i.e. to eject a wasted page before printing.  Apparently the
>extra weight hanging out there makes the paper move better.

Yes, if you check carefully, I think you will find that the problem occurs
every other page. It seems to be caused by the folds on the fanfold paper.
When the folds at the start of the page are away from the platen, it
squishes the line; when it is towards the platen, it doesn't.

Stan Armstrong.
Religious Studies Dept
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, N.S.,CANADA, B3H 3C3
(902)420-5866

USENET: att!clyde!watmath!water!dalcs!armstrng
BITNET:ARMSTRONG@STMARYS.BITNET