[comp.sys.mac] Questions about Red Ryder 10.3

taylor@hplabsz.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) (11/28/88)

I've been using Red Ryder (version 10.3) for a few days as a terminal
emulator and have come across a couple of questions that the documentation
I have available doesn't answer.  I was hoping that someone out there
in net-land could help...

  1. Due to the funny protocol of the cisco ethertip, I need to be
     able to generate Control-^ characters from the keyboard.  I
     cannot do this with either Command-Shift-6, Command-6, Option-6
     [as the documentation lists], or any variation thereof.  I *have*
     added it to the control button set on the "General Status Bar",
     but that's kinda clunky.  What am I doing wrong?

  2. In some of my macros I would like to have carriage return
     characters embedded (like "ATDT5551212^M") but again, nothing
     I try seems to work.  Is this beyond what the macros can have?
     If not, how do you escape the <return> key to have it added to
     the text?

  3. Also, is there any way, when I have "[`] sends escape sequence"
     turned on, to send a back quote without fiddling with the
     Customize/Keyboard Mapping Preferences options?  (is there some
     way to map "clear" [I'm on a Mac Plus] to escape?  That'd be
     great!)

Overall, I must admit that RR is an excellent terminal emulator/comm
package!  I like it much better than any of the other similar programs
I've tried...

			Thanks!
					-- Dave Taylor

Intuitive Systems: guest of Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
c/o taylor@hplabs.hp.com

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (11/29/88)

I am not sure about some of your questions, but to put a return in a macro
or procedure just have a "^M" such as you showed in your message.  That works
fine.  If you want a "^" it is "^^", but if you want a control^ I have no idea,
maybe "^^^"?

Mark Cookson

wizard@jclyde.cactus.org (John Onorato) (11/30/88)

In article <2676@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) writes:
>I've been using Red Ryder (version 10.3) for a few days as a terminal
>emulator and have come across a couple of questions that the documentation
>I have available doesn't answer.  I was hoping that someone out there
>in net-land could help...
>

>  2. In some of my macros I would like to have carriage return
>     characters embedded (like "ATDT5551212^M") but again, nothing
>     I try seems to work.  Is this beyond what the macros can have?
>     If not, how do you escape the <return> key to have it added to
>     the text?
Well, I know how to do this one, as I use the macro keys as my phonebook
(most frequently dialed numbers are in macro keys).  You put control
character in macro keys thusly:  Type the text ('ATDT 5551212'), then type
a caret ('^'), then the letter of the control key that you want ('M').
In other words, you had it exactly right when you type that parenthetical
expression in line 2 (of the quoted part, above).

Hope at least this little bit helps...

wizard

UUCP:   ...!cs.utexas.edu!bigtex!jclyde!wizard or  wizard@jclyde.cactus.org
Joy is in the ears that hear.                 -- Stephen R Donaldson.

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (11/30/88)

In article <2676@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> taylor@hplabs.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) writes:
     | I've been using Red Ryder (version
     | 10.3) for a few days as a terminal emulator and have come
     | across a couple of questions that the documentation I have
     | available doesn't answer.  I was hoping that someone out
     | there in net-land could help...

     | 2. In some of my macros I would like to have carriage
     | return characters embedded (like "ATDT5551212^M") but
     | again, nothing I try seems to work.  Is this beyond what
     | the macros can have? If not, how do you escape the
     | <return> key to have it added to the text?

Page 24 onward of the RedRyder 10.0 Manual, describes what you want to do.
It's in a chapter titled, The Macro Status Bar.  As a registered owner of
Red, you should have this?

Stu.

__Paths to my door:______________________
stuartb@microsof.beaver.cs.washington.edu
stuartb%microsof@uw-beaver.arpa
stuartb@microsof.uucp
Usual disclaimer, that all the above is pure fantasy and Microsoft only
gave me the Mountain Dew to dream it all in a caffeine haze  :-{)  :-{)

pas@unh.UUCP (Paul A. Sand) (11/30/88)

In article <2676@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, Dave Taylor writes:
[...]
>   1. Due to the funny protocol of the cisco ethertip, I need to be
>      able to generate Control-^ characters from the keyboard.  [...]

In RR9.4 (at least), you can do this with the "up-arrow" key, if your
keyboard has one.
--
-- Paul A. Sand           | Disclaimer:
-- Univ. of New Hampshire |     I'm not the funny-looking actor.