[comp.sys.mac] LSP 2.0 - Maybe I want my money back

gary@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Gary Buchholz) (11/24/88)

LSO 2.0 arrived yesterday and I've spent a few hours playing with it.

First, let me say that I *really* like LSP - to the point that I've
written 10,000+ lines of code in the past year or so.  To my "C"
friends (who always give me a hard time) the reason I write Pascal
on the Mac rather than C is because of the types of development
systems available.  Give me "C" in a symbolic debugger package like
LSP (in less than 2.5 megs) and I'll write C code.  Software development
should be fun, not frustrating.  LSP can make one very productive and
is most forgiving when one "experiments" with new things.

So, here comes LSP 2.0.  Well, out of the box, on my 1 meg Mac SE it
was unable to compile either the sample editor or the Object Pascal
demo due to "insufficent memory".  By removing some inits that I have,
removing TMON and not running AppleShare I was able to get the editor
to compile and run.  No amount of messing around could get the Object
Pascal demo to compile.

This is all very unfortunate.  If I need to go through the hassle
to dump TMON, AppleShare and remove other INITs and reboot just to
do some LSP development then I think I'll stick with the old version
of LSP and ask THINK about getting my money back.

Here's a few things I wish LSP 2.0 had
	-MacApp (since they LSP supports Object Pascal)
	-a disassembler in LightsBug
	-larger limits on the size of source files.  About 3000 lines
	 was the limit.
	-allow inline assembler like LSC

Here's what I like about LSP 2.0
	-LightsBug can break out fields in Records
	-compatibility with MPW
	-Support for Object Pascal

Two things that I HATE are
	-The obnoxious wish by LSP to open up windows for every file
	 you have in your project.  If you have 20 source files in a
	 project and you double-click that project to launch LSP
	 you'll have to wait while it opens those 20 windows (nicely
	 offset i might add) and then you'll probably close 19 of them.
	 Hopefully, there is, will be. a way to turn this off.

	-The fact that it looks like I will probably be able to do
	 nothing productive in LSP 2.0 with 1 meg of memory and my
	 current SE configuration.

  Gary

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/30/88)

In article <906@tank.uchicago.edu> gary@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (Gary Buchholz) writes:
>LSO 2.0 arrived yesterday and I've spent a few hours playing with it.

	[problems running in one MB]

	In house during testing, we had no problems using Lightspeed Pascal
on one megabyte computers (Mac Plus in particular). Were you running
MultiFinder?

>Two things that I HATE are
>	-The obnoxious wish by LSP to open up windows for every file
>	 you have in your project.  If you have 20 source files in a

	When you open a project, Lightspeed Pascal restores the state of the
windows to what it was when you last closed the project. This
is described in the release notes distributed on the disk, in section
3: "Saving Window Positions". You can prevent windows from being reopened
by holding down the Option key when opening a project, or stop window placement
in progress by pressing commmand-period.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.