[comp.sys.mac] Removing startup icons?

hellerst@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein) (11/15/88)

Is there a quick, or at least reasonable way to keep startup icons from
appearing when inits are installed?  ResEdit or Fedit or something?
I know they don't always just use the desktop icon, so is it possible
to simply remove certain ICONs with resedit?

Thanks....

Joe Hellerstein

ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) (11/16/88)

From article <593@husc6.harvard.edu>, by hellerst@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein):
> Is there a quick, or at least reasonable way to keep startup icons from
> appearing when inits are installed?  ResEdit or Fedit or something?
> I know they don't always just use the desktop icon, so is it possible
> to simply remove certain ICONs with resedit?

There's no guarantee -- different methods are available -- but the original
Paul Mercer code just looks for an ICON with the appropriate ID and displays
it.  It fails soft if the ICON isn't present.  So, from ResEdit, open the
INIT/cdev/RDEV, open ICON, select the offending icon, and pick Clear from
the Edit menu.

Then reboot and hope you haven't encountered the fruits of a programmer who
had to prove s/he knew a better way...!

=Ned Horvath=

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (11/17/88)

In article <583@poseidon.ATT.COM> ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>From article <593@husc6.harvard.edu>, by hellerst@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein):
>> Is there a quick, or at least reasonable way to keep startup icons from
>> appearing when inits are installed?  ResEdit or Fedit or something?
>> I know they don't always just use the desktop icon, so is it possible
>> to simply remove certain ICONs with resedit?
>
>There's no guarantee -- different methods are available -- but the original
>Paul Mercer code just looks for an ICON with the appropriate ID and displays
>it.  It fails soft if the ICON isn't present.  So, from ResEdit, open the
>INIT/cdev/RDEV, open ICON, select the offending icon, and pick Clear from
>the Edit menu.

Whoops, it looks for an ICN#, usually the one that shows up in the finder.
It should be possible, though.  Just change the ID of the ICN# that appears
at startup, and if it is also the one that shows in the finder, then change
the same number in the ICN# part of the 'BNDL' resource.  If you are
modifying a cdev, then you should change these number to a value between
-4064 and -4049 (inclusive), otherwise they should be above 128.
enjoy.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (11/18/88)

In article <583@poseidon.ATT.COM> ech@poseidon.ATT.COM (Edward C Horvath) writes:
>From article <593@husc6.harvard.edu>, by hellerst@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein):
>> Is there a quick, or at least reasonable way to keep startup icons from
>> appearing when inits are installed?  ResEdit or Fedit or something?
>> I know they don't always just use the desktop icon, so is it possible
>> to simply remove certain ICONs with resedit?
>
>There's no guarantee -- different methods are available -- but the original
>Paul Mercer code just looks for an ICON with the appropriate ID and displays
>it.  It fails soft if the ICON isn't present.  So, from ResEdit, open the
>INIT/cdev/RDEV, open ICON, select the offending icon, and pick Clear from
>the Edit menu.

Does this mean that all INIT's have their ICN# (not ICON) displayed at
startup?  I thought that Paul Mercer's ShowInit INIT needed to be present in
in each INIT file that wanted it's ICN# displayed.  If that's true, then
all you need to do is remove the ShowInit INIT from the file.  Anyway, if
you remove the ICN#, won't that keep it from showing up in the Finder?  I
don't have experience with this so I'm not really sure.

>Then reboot and hope you haven't encountered the fruits of a programmer who
>had to prove s/he knew a better way...!
>
>=Ned Horvath=

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (11/18/88)

In article <593@husc6.harvard.edu>, hellerst@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein) writes:
> Is there a quick, or at least reasonable way to keep startup icons from
> appearing when inits are installed?  ResEdit or Fedit or something?
> I know they don't always just use the desktop icon, so is it possible
> to simply remove certain ICONs with resedit?

If you really want to remove the icons from startup, you could probably
whack them with ResEdit, but why? They let you know whats loading. And
can possibly tell you where something goes wrong if you have boot problems.
I think all Init's should have startup icons...if you disable them, you
could spend alot longer figuring out a problem related to inits without
them....

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (11/19/88)

In article <177@bridge2.3Com.Com> ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) writes:
>If you really want to remove the icons from startup, you could probably
>whack them with ResEdit, but why? They let you know whats loading. And
>can possibly tell you where something goes wrong if you have boot problems.
>I think all Init's should have startup icons...if you disable them, you
>could spend alot longer figuring out a problem related to inits without
>them....

I wouldn't mind having all the inits having startup icons if I could
see them all, but the startup icons run off the end of the screen and
you can not see what is loading anymore.

-rsvp

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/19/88)

If you have problems with startup icons running off the edge of your
screen so that they are not visible any more, it is quite possible to
write an INIT that does a backwards carriage return. Just copy it, and
name it appropriately in the alphabetic sequence, and you'll get multiple
neat rows going up from the bottom.

In article <26869@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>If you have problems with startup icons running off the edge of your
>screen so that they are not visible any more, it is quite possible to
>write an INIT that does a backwards carriage return. Just copy it, and
>name it appropriately in the alphabetic sequence, and you'll get multiple
>neat rows going up from the bottom.

So, anyone have anything like this or seen an init like this or willing
to create it?

mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) (11/20/88)

writes:
> If you really want to remove the icons from startup, you could probably
> whack them with ResEdit, but why? They let you know whats loading. And
> can possibly tell you where something goes wrong if you have boot problems.
> [ stuff deleted ]

Startup icons interfer with startup screen desktop patterns. They become
part of the startup screen desktop pattern - very annoying.

-Michael Wang

+--------------+------------------------------------------------------------+
| Michael Wang | Stanford University, Stanford, CA  94305                   |
|--------------+------------------------------------------------------------|
| ARPAnet, CSNET, BITNET, Internet:  mouser@portia.stanford.edu             |
| UUCP:  ...decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!mouser          AppleLink:  ST0064   |

jkjl@munnari.oz (John Lim) (11/21/88)

In article <4172@Portia.Stanford.EDU> mouser@portia.stanford.edu (Michael Wang) writes:

>Startup icons interfer with startup screen desktop patterns. They become
>part of the startup screen desktop pattern - very annoying.

I used to use Randomizer for my startupscreen. Worked fine with showinit.
Try changing to another desktop pattern/startupscreen program.

	john

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (11/21/88)

In article <4172@Portia.Stanford.EDU> mouser@portia.stanford.edu (Michael Wang) writes:
>Startup icons interfer with startup screen desktop patterns. They become
>part of the startup screen desktop pattern - very annoying.
>-Michael Wang

 You're probably using "StartupDesk", or a similar OLD init. Tim Maroney's
"Backdrop" INIT (posted to comp.binaries.mac not too long ago) doesn't
have this problem... the desktop background is refreshed after the icons
have finished marching along the bottom of the screen. This is on a
Plus or SE, of course... and I've never seen any problems with the several
INITs of this type for the Mac II.

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (11/22/88)

mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU(Michael Wang) in comp.sys.mac

>> If you really want to remove the icons from startup, you could probably
>> whack them with ResEdit, but why? They let you know whats loading. And
>> can possibly tell you where something goes wrong if you have boot problems.
>> [ stuff deleted ]
>
>Startup icons interfer with startup screen desktop patterns. They become
>part of the startup screen desktop pattern - very annoying.

	A simple way to solve this problem is to rename your 'desktop pattern INIT'
so that it is the FIRST INIT to load, and then your desktop pattern will be
safe from all the other things that may be drawn on top.
	The best way to rename it to make sure ti loads first is to add spaces
before the name such as '  backdrop'.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (12/01/88)

In article <4172@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, mouser@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Wang) writes:
> Startup icons interfer with startup screen desktop patterns. They become
> part of the startup screen desktop pattern - very annoying.
> -Michael Wang

 Not sure what your problem is, but the Startup Icons "Always" disappear
 when the Finder comes up and do not interfere with anything on the
 desktop all of my installations, if you are seeing the startup icons
 remain after boot is complete, you have a problem of some sort...