[comp.sys.mac] Mac][ Monitor Shimmer, anyone?

mari@levels.sait.edu.au (Renato Iannella CC2-4 X3033) (11/07/88)

Has any Mac][ owners noticed their AppleColor (sic) monitor
having a tendency to "Shimmer" when first turned on ?

The monitor will shimmer for a couple of minutes then stop
and behave it self until it is turned off then on again.

The technician at our dealers has had the monitor in for
service twice.  Both times he claims he has fixed it!

Thanks in advance,

          /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
         //  Renato Iannella  B.App.Sc. AACS                           ///////
        //  South Australian Institute of Technology                     ////
       //  Mathematics and Computer Science Department                   ///
      //  The Levels 5095 Australia                                      //
     //  Phone# +61 8 343 3033       ACSNET & EAN: mari@levels.sait.oz  //
    //  Fax# +61 8 349 6939      JANET: mari%levels.sait.oz@uk.ac.ukc  //
   ///                       ARPANET & CSNET: mari@levels.sait.oz.au  //
  ////                     BITNET: mari%levels.sait.oz@uunet.uu.net  //
 ///////                  UUCP:  uunet!munnari!levels.sait.oz!mari  //
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (11/25/88)

Renato Iannella of (mari@levels.sait.edu.au) writes:
     | Has any Mac][ owners noticed their AppleColor (sic)
     | monitor having a tendency to "Shimmer" when first turned
     | on ?

Yep that's what they all do.

     | The monitor will shimmer for a couple of minutes then stop
     | and behave it self until it is turned off then on again.

If it's shimmering for more than a few seconds, you have a problem, but
anything up to maybe 7 seconds would be standard.

     | The technician at our dealers has had the monitor in for
     | service twice.  Both times he claims he has fixed it!

There may have been nothing to fix.  When the power is applied to the
AppleColour (sp.. I'm from Australia also) monitor it degauses as part of
it's start up sequence.. this will cause the diplay to shimmer.

If it is annoying to you during intermitant shutdowns and powerups, you
might like to power the monitor separately from the base unit.

     | Thanks in advance,

Hope this has helped mate.

Stu.

fischer@iesd.uucp (Lars P. Fischer) (11/26/88)

In article <648@levels.sait.edu.au> mari@levels.sait.edu.au (Renato Iannella CC2-4 X3033) writes:
>          /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>         //  Renato Iannella  B.App.Sc. AACS                           ///////
>        //  South Australian Institute of Technology                     ////
>       //  Mathematics and Computer Science Department                   ///
>      //  The Levels 5095 Australia                                      //
>     //  Phone# +61 8 343 3033       ACSNET & EAN: mari@levels.sait.oz  //
>    //  Fax# +61 8 349 6939      JANET: mari%levels.sait.oz@uk.ac.ukc  //
>   ///                       ARPANET & CSNET: mari@levels.sait.oz.au  //
>  ////                     BITNET: mari%levels.sait.oz@uunet.uu.net  //
> ///////                  UUCP:  uunet!munnari!levels.sait.oz!mari  //
>/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

WOW!
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.dk, {...}!mcvax!diku!iesd!fischer
We must remove the TV-induced stupor that lies like a fog

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (12/01/88)

Regarding people having problems with the Mac II colour monitor shimmering
for a few minutes after being turned on, we have a similar problem in our
facilities.  According to Apple and Sony, the manufacturer of the monitor,
the equipment is rated to require about a half hour warm-up time before it
is necessarily going to perform up to its specifications.

This means even if your shimmer lasts for TWENTY MINUTES, there's nothing
wrong with the monitor, and it probably can't really be 'fixed.'  Yes,
that's a pain because when you turn your computer on is when you want to
use it, not a half hour BEFORE you want to use it, normally.

Stu's suggestion that the monitor be powered separately from the computer,
i.e. plugged into its own receptacle rather than into the back of the Mac,
is valid.  It would be a good idea to turn the poor thing off when you go
home for the night, though.  You could turn it on in the morning as soon
as you come in, and by the time you've finished playing 'telephone tag'
with all the people who've left phone messages, and read your paper mail,
your monitor will be ready for you!

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen Poole) (12/01/88)

That shimmer is characteristic of older logic boards in the AppleColor.
Your dealer should have received instructions from Apple on dealing with
the problem.  It involves either replacing the board or making some
internal adjustment.  My dealer fixed the problem (which never occurred
until the newer logic board was replaced, evidently with an old one, after
other problems).  It was quite irritating but I didn't take in for
servicing until I ran across a news item in MacWorld detailing the problem.
That issue would have been between June and August of this year, I think.
Perhaps your service tech doesn't know quite what he's doing...

--
-- Stephen D. Poole -- t-stephp@microsoft.UUCP -- Mac II Fanatic --