[comp.sys.mac] Slight variations in apple monitor

peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP (11/16/88)

I have an apple RGB monitor and, being the picky person I am, have
found that the monitor is not perfectly white all over (when the whole
screen is white).  I get a slightly (very slightly) bluer/brighter area
inthe center and a more yellow ring around that.  There are also some
areas that appear slightly dimmer than others.  These variations are
very very slight and hard to see with any room lights on, but knowing
where they are, I can see them.

Am I being picky,, or is my monitor abnormal?

Joe Peterson
Schlumberger Technologies
Billerica, MA

email: peterson@applicon.com

Disclaimer: My company has nothing to do with what I say here, nor does
            it use any other bizarre forms of mind control.

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (11/23/88)

In article <35100032@peterson> peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP writes:

>I have an apple RGB monitor and, being the picky person I am, have
>found that the monitor is not perfectly white all over (when the whole
>screen is white).  I get a slightly (very slightly) bluer/brighter area
>inthe center and a more yellow ring around that.  There are also some
>areas that appear slightly dimmer than others.  These variations are
>very very slight and hard to see with any room lights on, but knowing
>where they are, I can see them.
>
>Am I being picky,, or is my monitor abnormal?
I believe this is not as uncommon as it ought to be.
Of the four Mac IIs in our group, all with Apple colour monitors, one
had to be returned because of lack of colour convergence, and the others all
vary in quality.  It took more than a month before Apple Canada would
authorize the return of the faulty monitor, but anyone with normal
eyesight who tried to use it for more than a few minutes quickly
complained of dizziness because of the difficulty in reading text. The
astigmatic user couldn't bear it for even a few minutes.  BTW, this is
all after adjusting the convergence.  A local Apple VAR claims he can
adjust the overall colour convergence far better than the condition in
which the monitors are delivered, but we have not taken him up on it
yet.

>Joe Peterson
>Schlumberger Technologies
>Billerica, MA
>
>email: peterson@applicon.com
>
>Disclaimer: My company has nothing to do with what I say here, nor does
>            it use any other bizarre forms of mind control.

-------------------
Simon Tortike, Department of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineering,
The University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.
UUCP: alberta!simon  |  BITNET: stortike@ualtavm  |  AGT: +1 403 432-3338

ngg@bridge2.3Com.Com (Norman Goodger) (12/01/88)

In article <35100032@peterson>, peterson@peterson.applicon.UUCP writes:
> I have an apple RGB monitor and, being the picky person I am, have
> found that the monitor is not perfectly white all over (when the whole
> screen is white).  I get a slightly (very slightly) bluer/brighter area
> inthe center and a more yellow ring around that.  There are also some
> areas that appear slightly dimmer than others.  These variations are
> very very slight and hard to see with any room lights on, but knowing
> where they are, I can see them.
> Am I being picky,, or is my monitor abnormal?
> Joe Peterson

 Have you tried hitting the de-guassing button on the back of the
 monitor to see if it would clear up the slight impurity?

 line
 fodder

Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-Sysop FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division