[comp.sys.mac] One more time: Turning a Mac ii on its side...

ELLIOT@STAR3.STANFORD.EDU (Elliot Bennett) (11/30/88)

I'm sorry if this is a repeat of previous discussions, but I missed any
earlier comments.

I was told by someone "who should know" that rotating a hard disk 90 degs
(i.e. using a Kensington stand for the mac ii) is VERY bad for it.  Namely,
the bearings and head were not designed to operate under these gravitational
conditions.  Thus, this is likely to cause 'more than usual' wear on the
hard disk and it is very likely to die a horrible death for this very reason.

Question: can anyone substaniate this?  He claims that the hard disk kit he
bought for his Atari ST (it's a Seagate drive) specifically said that the
warentee is void if it's operated on its side.  COmments anyone?

Thanx in advance,
Elliot Bennett
elliot@star.stanford.edu
-------

stone@hydra.unm.edu.unm.edu (Andrew Stone CS.DEPT) (12/01/88)

In article <596909239.0.ELLIOT@STAR3.STANFORD.EDU> ELLIOT@STAR3.STANFORD.EDU (Elliot Bennett) writes:

>I was told by someone "who should know" that rotating a hard disk 90 degs
>(i.e. using a Kensington stand for the mac ii) is VERY bad for it.  Namely,
>the bearings and head were not designed to operate under these gravitational
>conditions.  Thus, this is likely to cause 'more than usual' wear on the
>hard disk and it is very likely to die a horrible death for this very reason.
>Elliot Bennett

The tech at Relax Technologies said it would be fine for their Control Data Corp
drives that they sell. Mine has given no problem, the II is elevated with some
hardwood blocks.

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
||                                                                      ||
||	   Andrew Stone	    stone@hydra.unm.edu	    (505) 345-4800      ||

LaserMan@cup.portal.com (Bob LaserMan Murrow) (12/02/88)

Quoting from the Quantum Manual page 2.2 section 2.1.3 - The Prodrive may
be mounted in any orientation. end quote. This applies to the entire prodrive
series which range in capacity from 42 to 168 megabytes.
Bob Murrow
laserman@cup.portal.com
sun!portal!bob