[comp.sys.mac] noisy SE

EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET (11/17/88)

Maybe I missed this, but are there any replacement fans available to swap
for Apple's "727 jet" fan in the SE?  As things stand now, I have to
shut the sucker down if I'm on the phone and trying to hear.
Steve Dahm..............bitnet--->dahmsj@psupen

lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Alexander Lau) (11/17/88)

In article <61846EXZ@PSUVM> EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Maybe I missed this, but are there any replacement fans available to swap
>for Apple's "727 jet" fan in the SE?  As things stand now, I have to
>shut the sucker down if I'm on the phone and trying to hear.
>Steve Dahm..............bitnet--->dahmsj@psupen

I just bought an "SE Silencer" fan from a local store, got it
installed in-house for $5 more, and my room is now a lot quieter.

--- Alex
(my OWN account now!)

Pokey@cup.portal.com (Jeff R Gitchel) (11/19/88)

>EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET (Steve Dahm):
>Maybe I missed this, but are there any replacement fans available to
>swap for Apple's "727 jet" fan in the SE?  As things stand now,
>I have to shut the sucker down if I'm on the phone and trying to
>hear.

The fan can be replaced for free by your dealer. I'm writing this at
at home, so I can't tell you the authorization number but I've
done many such upgrades. If you have any problems, let me know.
The upgrade's been available for many moons.

Jeff Gitchel

Pokey@cup.portal.com (Jeff R Gitchel) (11/23/88)

I apologise. The official fan upgrade is NOT free. I was tired.

The fan upgrade consists of two parts: fan and vertical video board.
If the parts cost more than $35, you should look elsewhere.

The fan upgrade applies to Macs with a serial number of less than
749 in the first three digits.

BTW, Macs with those same low numbers, that have a condition known as
"Video Jitter", qualify for a FREE analog board upgrade. This also
includes the fan and the video board. This was probably the upgrade I was
thinking of. If you need this upgrade, ask your dealer to look in his/her
Service Program binder under "Macintosh SE Video Jitter."

Jeff Gitchel
Pokey@portal.cup.com

rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (11/29/88)

/* Written  7:20 pm  Nov 16, 1988 by lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
In article <61846EXZ@PSUVM> EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Maybe I missed this, but are there any replacement fans available to swap
>for Apple's "727 jet" fan in the SE?  As things stand now, I have to
>shut the sucker down if I'm on the phone and trying to hear.
>Steve Dahm..............bitnet--->dahmsj@psupen

I just bought an "SE Silencer" fan from a local store, got it
installed in-house for $5 more, and my room is now a lot quieter.

--- Alex
(my OWN account now!)
/* End of text from uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */

rfischer@skat.usc.edu (Roger Fischer) (12/02/88)

In article <46700089@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> rmf1992@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  7:20 pm  Nov 16, 1988 by lauac@qal.qal.berkeley.edu in uxf.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
>In article <61846EXZ@PSUVM> EXZ@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>Maybe I missed this, but are there any replacement fans available to swap
>>for Apple's "727 jet" fan in the SE?  As things stand now, I have to
>>shut the sucker down if I'm on the phone and trying to hear.
>>Steve Dahm..............bitnet--->dahmsj@psupen

You can get a replacement from an apple dealer.  The fan upgrade replaces
the original squirrel-cage type fan with a normal radial type fan.
Unfortunately it costs about $40 bucks plus whatever your local dealer
charges for installation.  All new SE's come with the new fan standard, and
if for some reason you blow your analog board... the new one comes with the
new fan.

Roger.
rfischer@skat.usc.edu