[comp.sys.mac] DA Handler Improvements

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (12/01/88)

In article <1026@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:

>It would seem logical to me, that none of these command keys would apply to
>DA Handler.  Thus leaving those keys available to be implemented by the DA
>itself, as a Quit or Window close command.

Sure, there are some DAs around which have a "Quit" and/or a "Close" command
key option. But there are *a lot* of DAs which don't have such things. And
when you look at the DA Handler as if it were an application, it should have
those shortcuts implemented.

>While it seems a little strange to "Quit" a DA rather than close it, under
>MultiFinder this is not so strange, as you are running under a seperate
>application layer (DA Handler), and thus makes it logical to quit the
>"application" which is basically what the DA has become.
>
>What I'm curious about is the way DA's close themselves.  Most DA's will
>quit the DA Handler, but some do not.  It would seem that most "well
>behaved" DA's should also close the DA Handler, that way you really don't
>need to have a quit command key for DA Handler cos it will disappear when
>the DA itself is closed or quit from.

I think the "right" way to look at the DA Handler is, as if it just were
another application with *lots* of windows available at the same time (i.e.
the DAs). So its absolutely wrong for a DA to close itself *and* the DA
Handler, because there could as well be some other open DAs which are meant
to be open. If you close the last DA which was open, the DA HAndler closes
(or quits) itself. Thats okay, though few other applications would do this.

So here we are:
Why is there no command key equivalent for "Close" and "Quit"?

	Gary

bob@accuvax.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (12/02/88)

> [ Lots of talk about DA Handler]
>
> So here we are:
> Why is there no command key equivalent for "Close" and "Quit"?

There is the command key equivalents for Close and Quit because Apple would
have to be sure that the DA is not intercepting these events, _perhaps for
some other use_. Suppose there exists a DA with an option, for example, of
"Quote", and the designer of the DA has bound command-Q to this option. There
is sits in the menu, just begging to be used, but when it is actually invoked
it not only does perform as expected, but also closes _all_ your DAs.

Since Apple did not reserve command-q and command-w for it's own use with DAs,
it cannot preempt their use. (Well, it _could_, of course, but it ain't worth
it).

>	Gary

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	The above might charitably be called a "guess"

dgold@Apple.COM (David Goldsmith) (12/03/88)

In article <698@ethz.UUCP> czychi@bernina.UUCP (Gary Czychi) writes:
>So here we are:
>Why is there no command key equivalent for "Close" and "Quit"?

How would you use terminal emulator DAs (like MockTerminal) on a Mac Plus
if there were?  Unless you never wanted to type control-Q or control-W.

We didn't put in these command keys because when a DA is in front, it gets
all command keys.  In DA Handler, a DA is always in front.  We didn't want
to usurp these keys from DAs which use them (MockTerminal being one example).
--
David Goldsmith                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1    BIX: dgoldsmith         20525 Mariani Avenue, MS: 46B