[comp.sys.mac] Change File Creator In Very Large Group of Files

fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) (11/29/88)

	Recently, we used Kermit Server to move all the files from our
departmental computer to our MacII. Kermit assigns MACA as a creator for
all the text files.  It is very painful now that whenever one of the files
is double clicked, MacWrite is called and we are asked about what to do
with the carriage return.  We'd like to use Edit to edit all the files.
We know how to change file creator from MACA to EDIT. However, there are
over a thousand files, we do not want to do them one by one at a time.
	We come to ask for help.  If anyone know any application that can
change the file creator for the files within one folder, please let us
know.  As usual, thanks in advance.

arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) (11/29/88)

In article <747@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

>We know how to change file creator from MACA to EDIT. However, there are
>over a thousand files, we do not want to do them one by one at a time.

It is a litle like hitting a gnat with a sledgehamme, but you could
always do it as an MPW script.

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (11/30/88)

In article <747@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:

[Question about how to change a thousand or so files to creator EDIT
from MACA.]

I don't know of a way to automatically change all the file types, but
a possible alternative solution: Create a MACAed version of Edit that
will be run whenever you double click one of these TEXT documents.
This means removing your copy of MacWrite from the disk, but an awfull
lot of people don't use MacWrite any more anyway.

The idea is to make a copy of Edit with the signature MACA.  I did
this with MindWrite and it should work with other programs that under
TEXT files.  This requires ResEdit-ing, so beware.

A Bug: This will also direct regular MacWrite files to a copy of Edit,
and Edit doesn't understand anything but TEXT.

Here is the recipe:

-Remove all copies of MacWrite from your hard disk.
-Make a copy of Edit, call it something like "Edit (MACA)".
-Fire up ResEdit.
-Do a "Get Info" on "Edit (MACA)", change its creator to MACA and
uncheck its "Inited" bit (to force the Finder to look for the changes
you are about to making).
-Open the "Edit (MACA)" copy and look in the BNDL resource for the
"OwnerName", change it from EDIT to MACA.
-Open the ICN# resource and do some fatbits editing of the icons.
What I did was add little letters saying MACA to the application and
document icons.  This is very valuable for knowing what is going on,
if the icons of your documents change, then you know Finder will use
the new copy of Edit when you open them.
-Quit ResEdit saving your changes, back up your new MACAed Ecit so you
don't have go through this in the future.

Works for me.

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (12/01/88)

In article <1019@ccnysci.UUCP> arons@ccnysci.UUCP (Michael Arons) writes:
>In article <747@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:
>>
>>We know how to change file creator from MACA to EDIT. However, there are
>>over a thousand files, we do not want to do them one by one at a time.
>>
>It is a litle like hitting a gnat with a sledgehamme, but you could
>always do it as an MPW script.

Or, you could use the "TextRanger" utility that Darin Adler posted here a
couple of years ago.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

newsuser@LTH.Se (LTH network news server) (12/01/88)

In article <747@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:
>	We come to ask for help.  If anyone know any application that can
>change the file creator for the files within one folder, please let us
>know.  As usual, thanks in advance.
MPW (avaiable from APDA).
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (12/03/88)

In article <747@dukempd.phy.duke.edu> fang@dukempd.phy.duke.edu (Fang Zhong) writes:
" ...
" 	We come to ask for help.  If anyone know any application that can
" change the file creator for the files within one folder, please let us

DiskTop DA, from CE Software
--
"Have you ever wondered if taxation without representation was cheaper?"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu