[comp.sys.mac] BroadCast and SuperMac monitor cables

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/29/88)

I installed System 6.0.2 on my computer at home recently, and shortly began
to notice problems with the BroadCast rdev, which lets you send messages to
other users on an AppleTalk network.  The rdev has a pop-up menu of icons
to send along with your message, and clicking on this now produces an
instant system error.  Moreover, after a while like that, just selecting
the person to send to is producing a system error.  I took a look at it on
the one computer in our department that has the latest System, and found
that the same problem with the icon menu is occurring.  BroadCast always
has and still does work just fine on our computers which we haven't yet
upgraded from System Upgrade 5.0.  Anyone have any ideas why BroadCast isn't
working properly?  The version I have is 0.5b3.

Also, a computer store we just bought a SuperMac 19" Trinitron monitor
from sent along a cable with the three different color signals, the red,
green, and blue, in their three color-coded wires.  This cable is missing,
though, the black wire, which is, I believe, used for sync.  It's not that
it's been cut off, it just isn't part of this cable.  Is this the wrong
cable (perhaps for the 16" monitor) or has it been redesigned without the
sync line?  Our new monitor has all of the same connectors on the back as
the old ones, so we know that hasn't changed.

Please e-mail all responses.  Thanks!

--
Mark H. Anbinder                                ** MHA@TCGould.tn.cornell.edu
NG33 MVR Hall, Media Services Dept.             ** THCY@CRNLVAX5.BITNET

billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (11/30/88)

In article <6896@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>I installed System 6.0.2 on my computer at home recently, and shortly began
>to notice problems with the BroadCast rdev, which lets you send messages to
>other users on an AppleTalk network.  The rdev has a pop-up menu of icons
>to send along with your message, and clicking on this now produces an
>instant system error.  Moreover, after a while like that, just selecting
>the person to send to is producing a system error.  I took a look at it on
>the one computer in our department that has the latest System, and found
>that the same problem with the icon menu is occurring.  BroadCast always
>has and still does work just fine on our computers which we haven't yet
>upgraded from System Upgrade 5.0.  Anyone have any ideas why BroadCast isn't
>working properly?  The version I have is 0.5b3.

I have mailed this patch to a few people, but here I'll post it for everyone.
Get out your favorite disk editor and open BroadCast.  Search for the hex
sequence 'A9FF' replace this sequence with '4E71'.  This sequence should only
occur once.  This will fix the problem with the icon menu.  I'm not aware of
any side effects, but keep flames at 'low heat', OK?

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (12/03/88)

I haven't had any problems with the patch and I've even edited icons and
stuff like that....

Thanks for the patch-It was a pain not being able to change icons...

-Mike Darweesh
-Carnegie Mellon University
-md32+@andrew.cmu.edu