[comp.sys.mac] 512Ke to Mac Plus upgrade problems...

kean@tank.uchicago.edu (keane arase) (11/15/88)

Hiya!

I just recently upgraded to a Mac Plus from a 512Ke.  (Figured I still
wanted to be supported by Apple for another couple of months :-)

When ever I return to the finder from an application or upon boot,
the cloverleaf function doesn't work the first time.  (For example,
if I return from an application, click on a file and do a <cloverleaf>-d
to duplicate the file, my mac will *rename* my file to 'd' rather than
copy it.

Is this because I didn't upgrade my keyboard?  Or is it another
problem?  (I hope this isn't a 'Why is my apple blinking' question...:-)

Thanks in advance.
---
Keane Arase, Systems Programmer
University of Chicago Computation Center, Acedemic and Public Computing
kean@tank.uchicago.edu
syskean@uchimvs1.uchicago.edu

              **  Please file the standard disclaimers here  **

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (11/16/88)

In article <785@tank.uchicago.edu> kean@tank.uchicago.edu.UUCP (keane arase) writes:

>When ever I return to the finder from an application or upon boot,
>the cloverleaf function doesn't work the first time.  (For example,
>if I return from an application, click on a file and do a <cloverleaf>-d
>to duplicate the file, my mac will *rename* my file to 'd' rather than
>copy it.
>
>Is this because I didn't upgrade my keyboard?  Or is it another
>problem

Ayup, that's the problem.  I have a stock MacPlus and I use my old
512E keyboard with it (with the extra keypad) and works just as you
describe.  I've sorta gotten into the habit of pressing the shift
key after it boots up.

Apple has know about this problem for years.  I figure if they haven't
fixed it by now (it's still in 6.0.2) they never will.  (I guess I'll
just have to upgrade to a Mac II to fix it!)

-- michael

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (12/04/88)

In article <6890@claris.com> peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) writes:
>In article <785@tank.uchicago.edu> kean@tank.uchicago.edu.UUCP (keane arase) writes:
>>
>>When ever I return to the finder from an application or upon boot,
>>the cloverleaf function doesn't work the first time.  (For example,
>>if I return from an application, click on a file and do a <cloverleaf>-d
>>to duplicate the file, my mac will *rename* my file to 'd' rather than
>>copy it.
>>
>>Is this because I didn't upgrade my keyboard?  Or is it another
>>problem
>
>Ayup, that's the problem.  I have a stock MacPlus and I use my old
>512E keyboard with it (with the extra keypad) and works just as you
>describe.  I've sorta gotten into the habit of pressing the shift
>key after it boots up.
>
>Apple has know about this problem for years.  I figure if they haven't
>fixed it by now (it's still in 6.0.2) they never will.  (I guess I'll
>just have to upgrade to a Mac II to fix it!)

That's because it's a hardware problem in the external keypad.  The only
fix that we could possibly do would end up costing as much as a new Mac
Plus keyboard.  If you don't need the keypad, disconnect it and everything
will work fine.  For all you hardware hackers, the problem is simply a
matter of timing.  Unless the keypad is constantly given an electronic
whack on the head, it will occasionally hold up a signal long enough so
that the Mac Plus won't get it.  When the machine boots or a long floppy
disk access occurs, it's possible for the keypad to "fall asleep".
That's why the Mac Plus came with the keypad and keyboard in one unit.

						_emt