[comp.sys.mac] tearoff menus

ola@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Owen L. Astrachan) (12/02/88)

I've just seen a Radius display that was quite nice in and of itself,
but what I am most interested in is an INIT it came with that makes
menus tearoff-able (good word).  This is a very nice feature that I'd
like to be able to use on my Apple 13" color monitor.  Is there any
software that allows for tearoff menus on other monitors?

Thanks.

Owen

Owen L. Astrachan               CSNET: ola@duke
Dept.of Computer Science        ARPA:  ola@cs.duke.edu
Duke University                 UUCP: {ihnp4!decvax}!duke!ola
Durham NC 27706                 Phone (919)684-5110 Ext. 229

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (12/02/88)

In article <12962@duke.cs.duke.edu> ola@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Owen L. Astrachan) writes:
     | I've just seen a Radius display that was quite nice in and
     | of itself, but what I am most interested in is an INIT it
     | came with that makes menus tearoff-able (good word).  This
     | is a very nice feature that I'd like to be able to use on
     | my Apple 13" color monitor.  Is there any software that
     | allows for tearoff menus on other monitors?

An entry in the last MacHacks conference, was a generic tearoff menu
utility.

It is a cdev called "Tear-Off Menus" from:

                          MindVision Software
                          1721 Benton St.
                          Lincoln,  NE  68521
                          (402) 477-3269

Authors: Rod Magnuson and Steve Kiene.

Apart from a review in the August 88 issue of MacTutor, I've heard nothing
of this utiliy since.

If anyone has any more details, please e-mail of post them.

     | Thanks.
     | Owen

Stu.

__Paths to my door:______________________
stuartb@microsof.beaver.cs.washington.edu
stuartb%microsof@uw-beaver.arpa
stuartb@microsof.uucp
Usual disclaimer, that all the above is pure fantasy and Microsoft only
gave me the Mountain Dew to dream it all in a caffeine haze  :-{)  :-{)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (12/04/88)

In article <12962@duke.cs.duke.edu> ola@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Owen L. Astrachan) writes:

<I've just seen a Radius display that was quite nice in and of itself,
<but what I am most interested in is an INIT it came with that makes
<menus tearoff-able (good word).  This is a very nice feature that I'd
<like to be able to use on my Apple 13" color monitor.  Is there any
<software that allows for tearoff menus on other monitors?

>Owen L. Astrachan               CSNET: ola@duke

We have one of the Radius displays and as soon as I saw that feature I tried
it in Word.  You can tear off the menu and make one selection. That's it.

I agree it sure would be nice if you could put heavily used menus off to the
side of your document, but I think the Application is going to have to
cooperate. Of course, as far as "other software with tearoff menus" there is
always Hypercard.

The new Canvas has done some nice things to make it easier to get to options
that were in dialog boxes and the guides and peel off rulers are super.  More
about that later.

Shirley Kehr

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (12/05/88)

There is an init available that does tear-off menus from any mac on any
monitor.  I have no details on it, but will get and try a copy as soon as
possible... and report on what it is.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/05/88)

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP(Stuart B) writes in comp.sys.mac

>In article <12962@duke.cs.duke.edu> ola@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Owen L. Astrachan) writes:
>     | I've just seen a Radius display that was quite nice in and
>     | of itself, but what I am most interested in is an INIT it
>     | came with that makes menus tearoff-able (good word).  This
>     | is a very nice feature that I'd like to be able to use on
>     | my Apple 13" color monitor.  Is there any software that
>     | allows for tearoff menus on other monitors?
>
>An entry in the last MacHacks conference, was a generic tearoff menu
>utility.
>
>It is a cdev called "Tear-Off Menus" from:
>
>		MindVision Software
> [ADDRESS DELETED]
>
>Apart from a review in the August 88 issue of MacTutor, I've heard nothing
>of this utiliy since.

	Mindvision Software is indeed working on a 'Generic Tear-Off' INIT - HOWEVER
it is still in development and at present they are not yet sure how  it will be
marketed when it is completed, so PLEASE DO NOT CALL THEM!!!  I promise that as
soon as more info is available, I will pass it along for them.
	They are also working on a 'Tear-Off Menu Developers Kit' which will allow
developers to Quickly and Easily turn their menus into TOM's.  This too is
under development but if you REALLY need it immediately, you can purchase it
for $50 from MindVision.

	I will be more than glad to answer any questions about the INIT or the
Developers Kit as I have been testing both for a while now and am quite familiar
with both.

Disclaimier: I have not other connection with MindVision than as a tester of
their products - though I do hope they do well!

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +