[comp.sys.mac] Stingy Internal SE Hard Drive

Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) (12/02/88)

Greetings.

I've enjoyed using my Mac SE HD 20 for more than a year now.
Unfortunately, I'm not enjoying having to maintain a library of
floppies with all the files I need to keep handy but can't keep
online, because of space limitations. Alhough I know the ultimate
solution is to get more storage, perhaps someone can help me with an
intermediary step.

When I format my internal hard disk, I wind up with 19,200 K free -- a
little more than a megabyte less than what I would expect from a 20Mb
drive. The desktop file is only 7K in size... where is the rest of the
space going? Is the Apple internal HD really a 19 Mb drive? Is there
any way to format that drive to eek out a few more K of storage?
Believe it or not, a little bit of room would make a lot of
difference.

Finally, when it comes time to buy a hard disk, it would be nice to
know what size they are when they're formatted. I hear some 20 Mb
drives actually format to a slightly higher storage level ...
like 22 Mb.

You're welcome to email or post your replies... But I prefer posting
because it lets other people learn from you. It seems the people who
insist you email replies never post summaries of the responses, so
you're left hanging with a good question unresolved.

Thanks.

_                      Portal: william_joseph_marriott@cup.portal.com
_  Bill Marriott       Northwestern University: innen@nuacc.bitnet
_                      GEnie: W.MARRIOTT              CI$: 72047,2770

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (12/05/88)

In article <11991@cup.portal.com> Lou@cup.portal.com (William Joseph Marriott) writes:
>Greetings.
>
>When I format my internal hard disk, I wind up with 19,200 K free -- a
>little more than a megabyte less than what I would expect from a 20Mb
>drive. The desktop file is only 7K in size... where is the rest of the
>space going? Is the Apple internal HD really a 19 Mb drive? Is there
>any way to format that drive to eek out a few more K of storage?
>Believe it or not, a little bit of room would make a lot of
>difference.

Hello there,

Please note:  The following is not an endorsment by Apple Computer in
any way.

Version 2.0 of HDSC Setup allows you to partition your hard disk, mainly
for creating the partitions that A/UX requires.  It also lets you create
custom partitions, and thus a way to use all of the space available on
a given hard drive.

If you create a larger partition
on your hard drive, and it needs to be repaired, and the replacement drive
does not contain as much usable space, you may not be able to get the larger
partition on the replacement drive.

Anyway, creating custom partitions requires that you format your hard disk
with version 2.0 of HDSC setup.  If you have the Macintosh Utilities User's
Guide, there are complete instructions on how to create a custom partition
starting on page 14.  I would suggest you skip the rest of this and read
the book.  Otherwise.....

BACK UP your hard disk.  Boot off your system tools 6.0.2 floppy.  Run
HDSC Setup.  If the partition button is not selectable, you need to initialize
the drive.  When initialization is done, press the partition button.
Click the custom button.

The graphic you see at this point shows you the layout of your hard
disk partitions.  Do not mess with the Mac Driver partition, or you will not
be able to use the drive.  If your drive has any unused space on it, you will
see it in the grey area at the bottom of the Mac partition.
Select the Macintosh partition and press the remove button.
Note the warning about all data being lost.....

Now, click in the grey area and drag until you have covered the entire
grey area. I would suggest leaving a little bit of space at the bottom.
You will then get a dialog asking you what type of partition you want to
create.  Select "Macintosh Volume".  Note you can enter the size of the
partition here also.  Click ok and it installs the partition.

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.    (Die or Free Live)